Why are life sentences all different

So? The same punishment for these two scenarios?:

1. Man goes into bank to rob it. "Everybody be cool, this is a robbery." One of the customers tries to stand in he his way, robber murders him and 4 other customers - pour encourager les autres.

2. You come home from work early to find Mrs Hazzard with her very well endowed and I mean enormous lover in flagrante delicto (I'd be a little more graphic usually, but am going to have a quiet weekend and I would prefer not to get a ban), you are a little angry to say the least and pick a golf club out of your set and in a fit of pique hit the lover on the head mortally wounding him.

Une crime passionelle would be looked on by the Judge as a slight mitigation and you would receive life for murder in the same way that the bank robber did. In my book the bank robber deserves to be in a hole of a prison for a long time, you however do not deserve the same treatment.

I wouldn't give the person in the second case life meaning life. Just 30 years or so.

It's because life sentences work differently from what most of the public think. The judge can specify a min term based upon the seriousness of the offence, it's then up to the parole board to decide as and when they think he no longer poses a risk to society. The life sentence gives them the flexibility to keep him in prison forever if they arent satisfied.

If he is ever released, then it would only ever be on licence and he would be subject to being taken back into custody. That bits for life. It''s really down to your misunderstanding of what a life sentence means in law.

He's only 15, which makes the case unusual because he has to be tried as a child.

If you think you cna do better then become a judge or a politician.