5p charge for carrier bags

kay1

The charge includes an element of VAT, so the Treasury will get that. Are you suggesting that even though the major storeshave have said they'll donate to money to charity, they won't?

No I am not sugggesting they wont donate the money, I am saying will they publish how much they have donated from the 5p charge to charity. When shops have a charity collection instore they do put up a notice to say how much they have collected.

Some interesting info here:

http://www.carrierbagchargewales.gov.uk/progress/?lang=en

Morrisons are donating every 5p raised by sales of single use carrier bags in their Welsh stores to help children living in communities with traditionally lower attainment levels.

Since the bag charge came into force in Wales in October 2011, Morrisons has passed £135K to good causes.

Tesco has decided to pass all proceeds from sales of carrier bags in its Welsh stores to the bird protection charity.

The proceeds will help make the Carngafallt Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) site more attractive to visitors and wildlife. It will also help fund the development of a circular walk.

As a direct result of the bag charge, Tesco have already passed £300,000 onto the RSPB since 1 October 2012.

In the store I work we have been told that the self scan colleagues will have the bags and dispense them to the customer as required and ensure they are added to the transaction. That's going to be very time consuming.

The only reason I use self-service checkouts is to avoid having to make small talk if I happen to get an over-friendly person on the till. They will now lose this benefit if I have to go begging around staff for plastic bags.

This would work IF you only buy what you left the house to get. But as Shops are doing their very best to shove as much at you to buy now, 25% extra free, BOGOFF etc etc, you almost always end up leaving the shop with more then you intended to buy. Therefore you will need extra shopping bags.

In an ideal world, you are correct, but we do not live in such a place.

That's down to self control....or in my case, living on a budget.

The only reason I use self-service checkouts is to avoid having to make small talk if I happen to get an over-friendly person on the till. They will now lose this benefit if I have to go begging around staff for plastic bags.

Plastic bags are provided here in Wales at the self service check outs.

You are "on trust" to declare how many bags used to the machine.

No I am not sugggesting they wont donate the money, I am saying will they publish how much they have donated from the 5p charge to charity. When shops have a charity collection instore they do put up a notice to say how much they have collected.

The law requires that they (the large, obligated stores) submit annual returns to Defra who will publish.

The law also requires that a store responds to an inquiry from a member of the public within 28 days.

Nothing to stop them publishing the information themselves as some are doing.

The reporting obligation does not apply to those smaller stores that may choose to start charging.

There is no legal requirement to give the net proceeds to good causes. It is an 'expectation'.

Edited by cgksheff