5p charge for carrier bags

kay1

It would be nice if the bags from some of the retailers were fit for purpose, so perhaps they cna make ones which dont fall apart. I did have one query about how it would affect all the self service sections, but in Asda today they had just simply removed them.

Paper bags would be ok in some situations. I used to like those brown paper bags, but not many shops use them.

---------- Post added 05-10-2015 at 18:29 ----------

But it does address the problem for the future. Seems perfectly sensible and its been shown to be effective.

Try using one in the rain!

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/supermarkets-to-donate-5p-plastic-bag-charge-to-ucl-dementia-centre-a3082876.html

Professor Alan Thompson, dean of the UCL Faculty of Brain Sciences, said: “Dementia is the greatest scientific, medical and socio-economic challenge of our times and affects more than 35 million people worldwide. UCL can bring the breadth and depth of expertise required to deliver therapeutic advances to this devastating condition.

Dementia is the greatest threat to an ageing population - greater than heart disease or cancer.

This is good news. I support anything that could help advancements in the treatment and possible treatment and cure of this very cruel illness.

I wonder why ALL the supermarkets aren't involved in donating the 5p's from the sale of carrier bags to this worthwhile project ?

Does anyone have any views about this use for the 5p's paid for carrier bags ?

Click on the link above.

"Good causes, good causes, good causes, good causes, good causes. . ."

Have you all forgotten, back when the Tory party were last in power, the definition of a "good cause" when it came to distributing lottery money?

A flippin' opera house! In flippin' London!

And £millions to Churchill's offspring, for some letters that the country already owned! Churchill's grandson was the first person to ever win the lottery, and he didn't even enter it :loopy:

............and Eton got a new gym costing £4.5 million helped by £3 million from the lottery.

The new indoor complex, consisting of a 90-metre, six-lane running track, long and triple jump pits, a hall for pole vaulting and the high jump, plus a weight training facility, will bolster the school's already legendary sporting facilities.

Eton College already has two swimming pools, 30 cricket squares, 24 football, rugby and hockey pitches and a gym.

It would be nice if the bags from some of the retailers were fit for purpose, so perhaps they cna make ones which dont fall apart. I did have one query about how it would affect all the self service sections, but in Asda today they had just simply removed them.

Paper bags would be ok in some situations. I used to like those brown paper bags, but not many shops use them.

---------- Post added 05-10-2015 at 18:29 ----------

But it does address the problem for the future. Seems perfectly sensible and its been shown to be effective.

It only kind of addresses the problem for the future and thats only because they think it will discourage people from having them,that will only work in certain circumstances and with certain people.

If the charities the money went to were environmental ones tasked with the the clean up of the existing bags then the so called solution of a 5p charge would make sense to me, as things stand it doesnt seem to.

It only kind of addresses the problem for the future and thats only because they think it will discourage people from having them,that will only work in certain circumstances and with certain people.

If the charities the money went to were environmental ones tasked with the the clean up of the existing bags then the so called solution of a 5p charge would make sense to me, as things stand it doesnt seem to.

Well its been shown to cut bag usage by 80%, which is a pretty good start. So yes it works. They can assess it later and see whether its a continuing problem. Perhaps wait and see where the charity money goes to.