5p charge for carrier bags

kay1

So if you buy an item of clothing with no paper or plastic wrapping do you have to pay for a bag or take your own?

If it's the same as Wales you will have to buy one. I bought a shirt from M&S in LLandudno and was charged 5p for the bag. I didn't want to put it in my shopping bag and hadn't a 'clean' bag on me. I think some items should be exempt from the charge.

They were called the Liberal democrats. Was that the best Clegg could do? Causing friction, inconvienience, and hassle for the checkout people. Garbage.

The charge for carrier bags is the biggest thing that the Government did to stop climate change, they are/were the 'greenest' government ever. :hihi:

---------- Post added 26-09-2015 at 13:23 ----------

If it's the same as Wales you will have to buy one. I bought a shirt from M&S in LLandudno and was charged 5p for the bag. I didn't want to put it in my shopping bag and hadn't a 'clean' bag on me. I think some items should be exempt from the charge.

Instead of charging £15 or £14.99 for a shirt; they could lower their prices to £14.95

The idea is to encourage people to reuse their bags instead of chucking them away.

Even if so, it's still a pointless piece of do-goodery.

Plus: why not make shops also provide a stack of used cardboard boxes (from goods delivered) so that car-borne customers have the option of using these?

I thought most of the shopping bags made now were biodegradable ?

Regular plastic bags are made from oil, a fossil fuel.

Biodegradables have their own problems:

Biodegradable plastic bags are often made from farmed products like cornstarch, which, in the right conditions, will break down into elements like carbon dioxide, water and methane. Biodegradable bags are generally best suited to composting and may contribute to methane emissions if sent to landfill.

LINK

While China and India throw up nuclear power stations ten to the dozen, we're saving the planet by charging 5p for carrier bags.:hihi:

This country is run by a bunch of clowns.

And so the answer is to consume and pollute as much as china? I agree with your second point but the first point is irrelevant.

The charge for carrier bags is the biggest thing that the Government did to stop climate change, they are/were the 'greenest' government ever. :hihi:

---------- Post added 26-09-2015 at 13:23 ----------

Instead of charging £15 or £14.99 for a shirt; they could lower their prices to £14.95

It has not altered anything, except caused resenmentment and expense for people and no doubt hassle for checkout staff. In our case we used all our plastic bags as bin liners, we now have to buy large bin liners, so no change there and probably even worse because bin liners are a lot bigger, and please don't tell me that you don't use bin liners,or at least I hope you eat out all the time,and although I do pride myself on having a sense of humour I don't see need for a smiley on this one.