Parking on Broken yellow lines/ wrong ticket issued

If people need markings to tell them to give way or identify a bus gate then I wonder if they should be driving.

This is a good point. I don't need zig zag lines to tell me not to park outside school gates, just like I don't need give way markings/signs to tell me to give way at junctions.

A couple of years ago (I don't know if its still like this) the main road going through Wisewood, up from Loxley, was made a 20 zone, and they removed the give way markings on all its side streets, why I don't know, but they did; one day I'm driving down this road when out from one of the side streets came this person in some sort of works van, didn't look, didn't give way or even slow down, he just came blazing out and if I hadn't hit my brakes I'd have gone straight into the side of him. Presumably he did this because in the absence of any give way signs or markings he's thought sod it I'm not giving way.

The mentality of some people of some people is just unbelievable!

This is a good point. I don't need zig zag lines to tell me not to park outside school gates, just like I don't need give way markings/signs to tell me to give way at junctions.

A couple of years ago (I don't know if its still like this) the main road going through Wisewood, up from Loxley, was made a 20 zone, and they removed the give way markings on all its side streets, why I don't know, but they did; one day I'm driving down this road when out from one of the side streets came this person in some sort of works van, didn't look, didn't give way or even slow down, he just came blazing out and if I hadn't hit my brakes I'd have gone straight into the side of him. Presumably he did this because in the absence of any give way signs or markings he's thought sod it I'm not giving way.

The mentality of some people of some people is just unbelievable!

I recall there has been research to demonstrate that no markings work, as everyone has to treat the junction with care, as there's no specific give way.

Slightly off topic, but does anyone check the standard of repairs done after roadworks on recently re-surfaced roads?

Yes. Any concerns email: highways@sheffield.gov.uk

---------- Post added 01-09-2016 at 16:59 ----------

It may well be related to funding, but my impression is that the durability of lines painted, both in depth and quality of material, has declined over the years.

It may well be that the accepted specifications have changed, but they are rarely fit for purpose and I see junction markings wearing out after 2 years.

Traffic levels have increased over the years, so wear rates will also increase with usage.

The current maintenance contract involves a fixed annual cost to the Council, so it's nothing to do with funding. Being fair to Amey, markings are often refreshed within a few days of being reported if they are genuinely worn out.

I recall there has been research to demonstrate that no markings work, as everyone has to treat the junction with care, as there's no specific give way.

Perhaps in countries where the populous are more sophisticated such as Sweden or Germany but in this country, no. There's too many arseholes like the one I mentioned in my previous post.

I've been looking at some of the new lines, and if the legislation hasn't changed, then they aren't legal anyway, as they are several cm's thinner on each line than the 'old' ones.

A new edition of Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions came out this year. See: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/362/contents/made

Generally, yellow lines will be 100mm wide and the tolerance can be +30% to -10% (in sensitive areas they can be 50mm)

However, essentially variances in the appearance of the line do not make the restriction unenforceable, as long as they don't "confuse" the motorist. So, technicalities that drivers have in the past used to try to get off with penalties, like for example the end bar on a yellow line not being present, no longer apply.

Traffic levels have increased over the years, so wear rates will also increase with usage.

The current maintenance contract involves a fixed annual cost to the Council, so it's nothing to do with funding. Being fair to Amey, markings are often refreshed within a few days of being reported if they are genuinely worn out.

"funding" can include attempts to reduce costs.

Road markings are considerably thinner (vertically) on application than they used to be.

Have there been any material changes in specifications over the last 20 years?

So, technicalities that drivers have in the past used to try to get off with penalties, like for example the end bar on a yellow line not being present, no longer apply.

Has the legislation changed to support that, or is it just the wishful thinking of enforcement people?

---------- Post added 01-09-2016 at 23:25 ----------

Being fair to Amey, markings are often refreshed within a few days of being reported if they are genuinely worn out.

If they can't see them for themselves then we probably need to hire a company with staff that have eyes.

Perhaps in countries where the populous are more sophisticated such as Sweden or Germany but in this country, no. There's too many arseholes like the one I mentioned in my previous post.

In these countries they have a rule that the person who comes from the right side has right of way.

I have seen equal understanding on UK roads as these other sophisticated countries.

A new edition of Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions came out this year. See: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/362/contents/made

So, technicalities that drivers have in the past used to try to get off with penalties, like for example the end bar on a yellow line not being present, no longer apply.

Has the legislation changed to support that, or is it just the wishful thinking of enforcement people?

Come on, Planner1 posted a link to the actual 2016 legislation on the gov.uk site. How much more evidence do you need that there is indeed new legislation?

---------- Post added 01-09-2016 at 23:25 ----------

If they can't see them for themselves then we probably need to hire a company with staff that have eyes.

Do you think it reasonable that Amey should have enough staff to check every road marking in Sheffield? At what interval?