Do you always set off in first?

I think it can depend on the vehicle, also. If it's designed to carry a heavy load and is empty then second may be ok. Also if you're already creeping then first may not be necessary. However, some one made a valid point earlier about it being named first for a reason and the ratios are set as such.

my next car will have launch control.

Switch to Race mode, turn Traction Control off, mash the throttle with the right foot, release the foobrake with the left foot. . . and a nice, gentle start from the traffic lights, Constable.

Me too,i think a manual is much better for tackling all the hills round Sheffield.What I hated about an automatic was that it was forever kicking up and down.America is perfect for an automatic with long straight flat roads but not round here.

There are plenty of mountains in my neck of the woods and high ones too. On the auto transmission my 2015 Honda Accord is equipped with there is S Drive which stops kicking up and down when going up hills

my Citroen would pull away in 2nd, which sometimes I would find useful in snow (it would even start in 3rd as I discovered accidentally one day :D )

My Passat stalls at the slightest suggestion that I might be contemplating not setting off in first - it also objects to a 2nd gear choice when setting off facing downhill. It is fine going from 4th to 6th or 3rd to 5th when I'm moving