War on the public sector and unions

RMT members voted 4 to 1 for strike action and 9 to 1 for action short of a walkout in a pay row with Network Rail.

The RMT’s Network Rail vote had a 60 per cent turnout.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/576825/Rail-users-chaos-workers-vote

So what???

That was about pay, not about a drunken Tube driver.

I was making a point about abuse of the system, not genuine grievances with the employer.

Rubbish. Rubbish. Rubbish. Rubbish.

Mental picture of El Cid typing that with his nose, whilst holding his fingers in his ears and singing "la-la-la-la-la-la-I-can't-hear-you" :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

I'd like to congratulate you on your well thought out and reasoned counter to my argument. I'm sure that anybody who was wavering will now have come over to your side and the matter is now put to rest.
Can you back up your opinion with facts?
Bit of an obstructive tool today, or in a trolling mood? Edited by L00b

Post some facts, are the London rail/tube workers covered in these new laws?

There has been nothing said that they are not also effected, the bill covers all trade unions.

Unless you can prove otherwise??????

The new rules require 50% turnout for the strike to be legal.

Public sector strikes need 40% backing of those eligible to vote.

I work in the public sector and I have no time for the unions at all.

I feel at 'war' with the unions far more often than with the government. Even when they reduce real terms funding for my work.

When you work in the public sector, there are advantages and disadvantages. If, on balance, you don't like it then move into the private sector.

It's for the government of the people to decide public spending policy, not a bunch of self-important unelected trotskyist agitators.

If the public sector employees were in some way being forced to work for the state, I might be more sympathetic, but they aren't.

If you want to withdraw your labour, alone or in concert with others, there's nothing stopping you. Why on earth should your employer have to tolerate that with no right to replace you or even account for it when considering your career progression?

I work in the public sector and I have no time for the unions at all. I feel at 'war' with the unions far more often than with the government.

You have the right to vote against any strike action, do you attend meetings, or do you just feel powerless.

---------- Post added 29-09-2015 at 11:10 ----------

There has been nothing said that they are not also effected, the bill covers all trade unions.

It does not cover all unions.

"In ‘important public services’ (fire, health, education, transport, border security and nuclear decommissioning), 50% of members must turn out to vote and 40% of the entire membership must vote in favour (that amounts to 80% of those voting, on a 50% turnout)."

"In ‘important public services’ (fire, health, education, transport, border security and nuclear decommissioning),"

Has Cameron forgotten how important it is to have electricity, gas and water; perhaps these are covered in the fine print?

It states "nuclear decommissioning", but not construction or generation.

Does the bill cover all education and transport, they are not all essential.

---------- Post added 29-09-2015 at 11:18 ----------

I'm not a member. I agree with them on very little and I'm hardly going to pay people to advocate the opposite of my opinions.

You like to post your opinions on here, but you do nothing in your workplace?

Are you really implying that the only way to express yourself at work is via the union?

That depends on the workplace. Even union members feel aggrieved when the unions agree new terms that do not favour every employee.

The unions do hold a lot of power. In my workplace the union rep has never worked for the council, so he knows very little about our working lives.

He is a paid rep, but that is that fault of others not standing up to do the role of union rep.