How long would you expect to wait for a ambulance after ringing 999

S6 D.I.Y

Unfortunately the ambulance service is not classed as an emergency service by the government, only an essential service.

Maybe if they were funded by the government (like police/fire) there would be more money available?

I remember signing a petition last year to make ambulance an emergency service.... Obviously the petition didn't work!

I never knew this. That's interesting.

[.snip.]

Having been out with the ambulance crews a couple of times I know what they're up against, it's job after job, and generally 10 or 12 hour shifts, you need a strong bladder as you have no time to pee.

One of the biggest downsides is ignorant motorists who won't get out of the way when the ambulance is behind them, some panic and don't know what to do, others think they can get away with putting their foot down, others see an opportunity to speed past the car that has slowed down for the ambulance. What everyone should do when an ambulance is behind them or they can see them a few cars back in their mirror, is stop. So the ambulance can box round you.

[.snip.]

Bold: I see lots of emergency vehicles every day whilst driving for a living. I would counter this by saying that not only the majority, but almost 100% of the time to I see good practice by drivers moving out of the way.

Underlined: It might be due to me working later, and most often in the dark, but I notice that a lot of ambulances put their lights on, but not sound. (probably a noise pollution and complaints thing), but they often creep up then blast the lot on, that doesn't give drivers as much time to make a move.

Flashing blue lights might be obvious when in the suburbs, but when driving on West St at peak times, flashing blues lights are part and parcel :)

-

I notice some places that you might use this argument, but there is just no stopping a delay in some places. Inbound Penistone Road (during heavy traffic) from Leppings Lane to SWFC stretch springs to mind. One driver will run out of places to go, and it becomes a domino effect. That's just off the top of my head.

You remind me of people who complain when there aren't enough taxis on mega-busy nights, and ring up and say 'why don't you get some more for events like this?! :rant:'

Ahh I thought I read somewhere that taxis from neighbouring towns were stepping in.

Bold: I see lots of emergency vehicles every day whilst driving for a living. I would counter this by saying that not only the majority, but almost 100% of the time to I see good practice by drivers moving out of the way.

Underlined: It might be due to me working later, and most often in the dark, but I notice that a lot of ambulances put their lights on, but not sound. (probably a noise pollution and complaints thing), but they often creep up then blast the lot on, that doesn't give drivers as much time to make a move.

Flashing blue lights might be obvious when in the suburbs, but when driving on West St at peak times, flashing blues lights are part and parcel :)

-

I notice some places that you might use this argument, but there is just no stopping a delay in some places. Inbound Penistone Road (during heavy traffic) from Leppings Lane to SWFC stretch springs to mind. One driver will run out of places to go, and it becomes a domino effect. That's just off the top of my head.

I agree in some places it is difficult, should anyone here the pitch of the siren change usually means they are at the junction or are really desperate to get round you.

Ahh I thought I read somewhere that taxis from neighbouring towns were stepping in.

That is relevant to this how?

Nice attempt at a dig, but like police, taxi drivers are numerous because it's not a job that particularly requires spectacular intelligence and neither of which many people want to do for a living. Paramedics aren't quite as freely available or numerous, nor is the finance to pay for them/ and their equipment which is far more expensive than police or taxis.

Now come on, answer this to get back away from digs:

where are going to ship lots of ambulances and paramedics from, on a Friday or Saturday night?

I agree in some places it is difficult, should anyone here the pitch of the siren change usually means they are at the junction or are really desperate to get round you.

I find that in daylight hours, they can be heard quite early and people can move accordingly. The later and / or darker it gets, this siren/earliness seems to diminish. Like I say, probably late noise reasons.

That is relevant to this how?

Nice attempt at a dig, but like police, taxi drivers are numerous because it's not a job that particularly requires spectacular intelligence and neither of which many people want to do for a living. Paramedics aren't quite as freely available or numerous, nor is the finance to pay for them/ and their equipment which is far more expensive than police or taxis.

Now come on, answer this to get back away from digs:

where are going to ship lots of ambulances and paramedics from, on a Friday or Saturday night?

You brought up the taxis as a comparison in your previous post.

Where do they get the extra police from for demonstrations and football matches on a busy Saturday afternoon? Are they made to work? Or is the pay such, that they choose to work overtime for their own or another city?

Are we forbidden for asking questions on the forum, unless we can offer the solutions ourselves?

I have to agree with Ash in the respect that generally when the blues are on, the larger percentage of motorists do make an attempt to clear a path for you. This isn't the case for all drivers as you still get a percentage who for whatever reason don't move whether it be personal choice or simply that they have the radio on loud and don't hear you.

However just because other drivers move out of the way doesn't necessarily mean that they are helping you. Obviously the intent to move and help is there however quite often it can actually hinder more than it can help. The most obvious fault is to move our of the way but leave the back end hanging out or to pull up on a curb at an angle and roll back off at you.

You also get the "Traffic Officer" style drivers who spot the blue lights and hear the sirens and take it upon themselves to take matters into their own hands and deliberately move into a position to block other traffic and help us through. This is it's own rights can deliver it's own problems and can hinder as much as it helps despite the good intentions.

As an emergency blue light driver it is the responsibility of the driver to spot any potential problems and hazards a long way off and to position yourself in the best possible position to avoid and counter the said problems.

Of course blue light drivers can claim exemptions that other motorists aren't allowed to do so however we have the same responsibilities towards the safety of other motorists as anyone else does therefore we also have to consider how other motorists will react and drive in a non-aggressive manner so that we don't force driver error. For example when a blue light driver approaches a busy junction at a red light, you will generally notice that the sounders go off but the blue lights stay on? This is because we can't be seen to force other motorists through a red light as this is dangerous therefore we turn off the sirens to prevent other motorists from making panic moves however the blue lights stay on the remind other motorists that we are there and to be prepared to allow us to pass at the safest opportunity.

You brought up the taxis as a comparison in your previous post.

Where do they get the extra police from for demonstrations and football matches on a busy Saturday afternoon? Are they made to work? Or is the pay such, that they choose to work overtime for their own or another city?

Are we forbidden for asking questions on the forum, unless we can offer the solutions ourselves?

... and you brought police into it, which I'm trying to show you (like with taxis analogy) that there aren't the numbers of medically qualified that the police have in the form of bobbys.

Are you going to answer? You suggested it, so why can't you answer it?

I guess the theory would be places that aren't having an event like freshers week, so Leeds and Manchester perhaps.

But it's not practical, because Fri/Sat night is still the busiest night of the week and presumably those services are already running at close to 100%, as our own does most weeks, there is simply no spare capacity for when it peaks higher due to something like freshers week (assuming it really does create a peak).