Sheffield, the largest city in Europe..

I don't think we need an airport, you can get to Manchester really easily...

But it takes too long. Min 2 hours by train once you factor in getting to the train station.

There is also no train link late at night (last one not getting in at a crazy time is around 10 pm), meaning if you are on a late flight home after work you then are stuck at manchester airport.

But it takes too long. Min 2 hours by train once you factor in getting to the train station.

There is also no train link late at night (last one not getting in at a crazy time is around 10 pm), meaning if you are on a late flight home after work you then are stuck at manchester airport.

It doesn't take me 2 hours minimum to get to Manchester Airport, even factoring in travel time to the station. So who are you speaking for? I imagine for almost every one North-West, West and South West of Sheffield station, Manchester Airport is a more attractive option, all things considered. Whilst DSA might be closer by car, it's still 45 minutes away, and so for the sake of 30 mins extra drive you can go to an Airport with loads more flights, loads more facilities etc.

If a train service to DSA ever did materialise, I don't see why it would have a night service is Manchester Airport can't justify one!

If City Airport was still an option then we might have been on to something but for whatever the reasons, it isn't an option any more, so its Manchester vs DSA, so unless DSA vastly improves its transport links and flight options, it's likely people in Sheffield will continue to use Manchester more frequently, and not feel the need for a Sheffield airport.

Last time I went on hol it took less than an hour to drive there and cost about £35 to park the car there all week. Can't grumble!