Womb transplants Vs Preservation of life

The NHS was set up to treat the sick.

As sad as it may be that some women are unable to conceive I struggle with the fact the the NHS pays for fertility treatment as I believe the NHS should be treating the sick. Being unable to conceive is not an illness . I think the NHS has lost it's way here.

The NHS was set up to treat the sick.

As sad as it may be that some women are unable to conceive I struggle with the fact the the NHS pays for fertility treatment as I believe the NHS should be treating the sick. Being unable to conceive is not an illness . I think the NHS has lost it's way here.

I agree, certainly when you consider the odds of IVF working. I'd guess (and it's just a guess) that treatments for illnesses with similar odds for diseases don't get NHS funding. And there's the risk to the woman who is having the surgery.

it sounds like a perfect case of a procedure available privately for those who are willing and able to pay for it.

I believe this is the way to go.

The NHS cannot sustain the funding for infertility I'm afraid.

It MUST prioritise the sick.

---------- Post added 30-09-2015 at 18:40 ----------

I am sure that is high on the duties of the NHS; but the NHS should be about making people bodies work, as they are meant to.

No - the NHS is about treating the sick.

Infertility is not an illness.

Cuts are going to have to be made and infertilty treatment will be the first to go since it is at the point of collapse and must prioritise those who are sick and in danger of losing their lives.

Edited by Daven

If a woman is born without a working womb, then she is sick.

Treating those that have past the 'normal' child bearing age would be questionable.

No she isn't sick. She is born with part of her body that doesn't work but doesn't have a condition that, if untreated, will result in her death.

The NHS should fund treatment for those of us who have conditions that threaten life and well being and infertility does not come into that category.

Getting pregnant is a choice not a necessity .

As the resources of the NHS diminish, as they will under this current government, infertility treatment will become a luxury rather than a given right.

Priority will be given to funding treatment that saves existing life rather than promoting new life.

Edited by Daven

No she isn't sick. She is born with part of her body that doesn't work but doesn't have a condition that, if untreated, will result in her death.

The NHS should fund treatment for those of us who have conditions that threaten life and well being and infertility does not come into that category.

Out of interest, are you male or female?

What difference does my sex make - it's irrelevant.

You said

She isn't sick"

Was that statement based on experience as a woman, or a man?

How can it be a choice when the debate is about the inability to conceive?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-193870/Can-NHS-afford-400m-IVF-bill.html

Because the cost of infertility treatment for the NHS is totally unsustainable.

This is fact not opinion.

The inability to conceive is not life threatening.

I'm not saying that infertility treatment should not be available but it costs too much to be funded wholly by the NHS.

This is fact not supposition.

Edited by Daven

If a woman is born without a working womb, then she is sick.

Treating those that have past the 'normal' child bearing age would be questionable.

Whaaaaat!!!!

There goes the respect aspect of this thread!

For crying out loud El Cid!! Are you really that closed minded?