Gmail alternatives

John

Not free but I would go for a basic hosting package (about £2 per month) and use the company's webmail facility. That may only be RoundCube/Squirrel or Horde but they are perfectly adequate unless you need the extras that come with GMail etc. Aliases can be created as required. There may be a limit on storage though - perhaps 1GB so you would have to download the emails from time to time. Of course if you want more space then you can pay extra.

Gmail is not free if you want to associate it with a domain name.

I'd like to know what you are using as a free alternative.

I have mine connected to my domain (It has been for years) and i'm not charged... is it something they have just brought in?

It was google apps you signed up to which offered gmail that allowed you to link it to your domain name. I've done a few this way. That stopped being free in December 2012.

See: https://support.google.com/a/answer/2855120?hl=en

Ahh, fair enough.... I dunno, I just did it because it was useful, didn't really look into differences etc, and not needed it since so had no idea about how it currently is!

• 2 weeks later...
Slightly loaded question as I don't have the answer to that one. I host with Serif and as part of the package I have 10 email addresses available to me - more secure than an ISP or free one as you can have secure password that includes non-standard characters. ;)

Wow non standard characters in a password, they must be right on the bleeding edge of technology...

Any hosting company is probably your best bet. The one you registered your domain with would be a good start. That said does doing it with Gmail cost much more than whatever hosting co's charge these days?