Steel City Beer & Cider Festival : 21st-24th October 2015

Andy C

I am puzzled by the need for beer festivals in 2015. There was a time when your local had a sign hanging outside telling you which beer they sold. It was probably the same one as the pub down the street.

But now I live in a village with half a dozen pubs, and if I visited each and had a pint of each different beer on offer I would have walked a mile and probably drunk 30-40 pints. If I did it again a week later I could find 10 that weren't there last time.

interesting take on it… I'd concur there's no 'need' for a beer festival, but if people enjoy them enough to make it profitable then why not! We still get plenty of people who come to the festival who normally drink lager/keg but take the 'cask plunge' at the fest… there's no inherent reason they couldn’t do that in a pub, but apparently they don't!

Plus I reckon for every person who goes to the festival instead of a pub, there's someone who comes to Sheffield for the festival and then goes to the pubs (especially now the festival is in the Valley of Beer!) so overall it doesn't harm pub attendance (probably quite the opposite...)

I am puzzled by the need for beer festivals in 2015. There was a time when your local had a sign hanging outside telling you which beer they sold. It was probably the same one as the pub down the street.

But now I live in a village with half a dozen pubs, and if I visited each and had a pint of each different beer on offer I would have walked a mile and probably drunk 30-40 pints. If I did it again a week later I could find 10 that weren't there last time.

That is the reason I've not been going to beer festivals for the past 15 years or so, the ever changing lineups in pubs meant that they were perpetual beer festivals in the pubs so no need for the commemorative glass and fiddling about with silly tokens.

I went to last year's primarily because of the great location and had a brill time, the atmosphere and location really did help and I enjoyed having such a massive range of beers to choose from instead of the 5-10 usually available in the pubs I go to.

The Closed Shop Beer fest begins on the 29th and hopefully there will be another Shakespeare's fest in the near future because that was another great one last year.

Concur re Sheffield venue, best they've had, much nicer and more character than Ponds Forge and certainly better than a tent in a muddy field!

Indeed. Gutted I can't go this year as I'm going to do the Hudds pubs (yes, including THAT one :love:) the following weekend for a birthday and can't do both.

The field was awful, but that discussion's been done to death already ;)

Today is the first day of the beer festival, it is to be opened by the Master Cutler at 5pm. Tonight is free admission to all and there will be collection buckets for the Master Cutler Challenge charity.

There is no entertainment tonight, just beer, food and conversation! Choice of over 200 beers and 40 ciders. We'll also be announcing the results of the champion beer competition, which is being judged tonight.