Cowboy customers

ha ha funniest thread of the day, £600 for a whole house plaster + 2 walls out i dont think so, thats 2 weeks for one guy at least and thats if hes crap tell her to do one!!! we charge that for 2 days trade labour.

spoke to my mate today and he told her that if she wants it doing for that look elsewhere :hihi:. btw the job is in woodhouse so just a heads up in case she advertises on here :hihi::hihi:

ha ha funniest thread of the day, £600 for a whole house plaster + 2 walls out i dont think so, thats 2 weeks for one guy at least and thats if hes crap tell her to do one!!! we charge that for 2 days trade labour.

I clearly made a massive mistake when I became a nurse over 30 years ago - should have trained as a plasterer !

Usually when someone buys the materials for a job , the person doing the labour is doing the job on the side or is claiming unemployment benefit .

the point is a pro plasterer wouldnt do it for that never mind the wall knock outs which need s at least 2 people, even labourers on the fiddle want £60 plus a day

I clearly made a massive mistake when I became a nurse over 30 years ago - should have trained as a plasterer !

If you've ever employed a plasterers services you'd find out they charge a decent amount from troweling muck onto a wall :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

I think customers who tell the tradesmen what they are willing to pay for a job they know nothing about are not worth the time or fuel to even quote.

2 weeks to plaster a full house and fit 2 RSJs is also pushing it for 1 guy, I couldn't do it and if been plastering for 12 years.

Unfortunately this is common, I get 2/3 a week asking how much to plaster this room, how much to render this house, how much per m2 do you charge, what's your cheapest day rate, I took the advice from a older guy in the same trade and just tell them I'm too busy and hang up.

You can spend a lot of time and money, as I did, driving all over Sheffield pricing work for people who have no intention of paying the going rate.

I drove to heathersage about a month ago to price a rendering job where the lady wasn't even in when we agreed to meet, I called her to try and at least be able to quote and she never sent me her email address, bank holiday Sunday £10 in the truck completely wasted.

---------- Post added 06-10-2015 at 10:17 ----------

And to be fair plasterers shouldn't be messing about with RSJs anyhow

If you've ever employed a plasterers services you'd find out they charge a decent amount from troweling muck onto a wall :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

I have and I know.

Nurses trowel muck but of a different type.

---------- Post added 06-10-2015 at 10:20 ----------

Plastering is hard work .

I'm sure it is hard physical graft but the financial reward is substantial.

Nursing is hard work both physically, mentally and emotionally- the financial reward is not there imo.

Edited by Daven

Just break it down to see the true profit in this job.

Say it does get done it 10 days to a good standard,

£600 - 20% tax £480

£480 - your fuel costs (say £20 a week for arguments sake) £440

Add to that your business costs such as liability insurance, vehicle insurance, possibly another £20 down at the end of the year for these 2 weeks

£420 take home for 10 days work £42 a day, no thank you

This is without factoring in sheets, floor protection, tool and vehicle maintenance.

---------- Post added 06-10-2015 at 10:41 ----------

I have and I know.

Nurses trowel muck but of a different type.

---------- Post added 06-10-2015 at 10:20 ----------

I'm sure it is hard physical graft but the financial reward is substantial.

Nursing is hard work both physically, mentally and emotionally- the financial reward is not there.

Financial reward is substantial? Is it?

I don't think it is, try telling that to lads who are driving 120 miles a day skimming sites for £2.20 per m2, do you know what 70m2 a day does to you mentally, physically, it breaks most guys, hence why I don't do it.

Try telling that to guys that are fighting for their money from large commercial contractors 3/4 weeks after they were due to be paid.

What about the bills you have to pay just so you can plaster or render such as insurance, tools replacement

Also driving all over the place after work spending money in fuel, time in the evenings looking at jobs, spending another hour sat at the computer writing a quote up for someone just to fob it off.

Sick pay/holiday pay non existent.

Most plasterers i know can't even afford to buy their own house