Cowboy customers

Plasterers are amazing - I can do most DIY jobs around the house, electrics, plumbing, carpentry, tiling, but plasterers deserve every penny they get. They are the least last people I have seen around. Sometimes I'm lazy: just watching them in awe.

Screwing a tradesman down to a price, is a sure way to end up with poor quality and someone who doesn't care as much as he would like to.

I have and I know.

Nurses trowel muck but of a different type.

---------- Post added 06-10-2015 at 10:20 ----------

I'm sure it is hard physical graft but the financial reward is substantial.

Nursing is hard work both physically, mentally and emotionally- the financial reward is not there imo.

Nurses get around £30k on average, depending on how far up the band they are. They also have opportunities to get promoted to earn even more (matron, supervisor, etc), automatic pay progression up defined salary bands, a very stable and secure job with virtually no chance of redundancy or being unable to get work, and a final salary pension underwritten by the state. Taking all that into account, nurses are at least as well paid as plasterers, probably better.

If I had my books to hand is show you what it costs.

Off the top of my head last year I spent something like the following.

Employers liability - £450 I think

Tool replacement/investment possibly around 3-4k

Materials were about 20k

Scaffolding was about 4k

Vehicle insurance 1k

Fuel 3-3.5k

Then labourers wages which I won't disclose on here

Chuck on top the non reusable protections sheets, tapes, window protections, dust sheets which I can't recall but I bough a box of 24 no residue tapes and brick tapes which were £200 + vat

Chuck on top vehicle maintenance costs.

Then add to that there's no sick pay, holiday pay or pension

---------- Post added 08-10-2015 at 21:12 ----------

Whatever's left over take the 20% off and your basically left with your wages.

I'm not willing to discuss my pay on here but it's taken a hell off a lot of time, money (£30k + and rising every year) and hard graft to be able to make a decent living from it.

This year has cost some fair £ too, 6k on a render pump, £1500 on a compressor maintenance and training courses are up into 4 figures already.

Too many people think what they put in your hand at the end of a job is yours and you go skipping off to the pub

Edited by Mac_Plas

Plasterers are amazing - I can do most DIY jobs around the house, electrics, plumbing, carpentry, tiling, but plasterers deserve every penny they get. They are the least last people I have seen around. Sometimes I'm lazy: just watching them in awe. .

Well said , you've hit the nail on the head . Plasterers are well respected by everyone in the trade and DIYERS .

Anyone could be a nurse if they can put on a uniform and have watched an episode of Emergency Ward 10 .

I'm not lazy - how dare you.

I earn every single penny I get paid and more.

The last plasterer we employed to do a job was very lazy - I wouldn't pay him in soap coupons - disgusting workmanship and very expensive.

He was also unreliable - didn't turn up when he said he would and then botched the job as he rushed off to price another job up.

He was probably a fire man.

This is one of the reasons i stopped plastering as you will probebly find that someone is willing to do the job for £600 but not me as a decent plasterer should be charging £125 to £150 per day

Edited by Starlc

Why should people treat plasters any differently?

How many plasterers take their vehicle to the top end car mechanic or don't look to save a few quid on materials or want a cheap website building?

How many times do many tradesmen bill multiple customers for one set of goods because they do more than one job? Even plasters with part bags to do little bits of patch up work.

I'm not saying its wrong just different, a nurse gets paid for being at work not on how much money they make from a client.

He must think it's reasonable or he wouldn't be taking the job on ???

What's the problem ?

He's only been offered the job, not taken it on.

The problem being the woman only wanting to pay 600 quid for such an involved job.

cant believe my mate has actually started this job today :suspect: and will not be paid till the job is done and to the womans satisfaction :loopy:. the customer is also of an ehnic minority and was wondering if that's why the price is so low :suspect:

So everyone will say no, and she'll either have to pay more, or not get the work done.

Obviously not ......

cant believe my mate has actually started this job today :suspect: and will not be paid till the job is done and to the womans satisfaction :loopy:. the customer is also of an ehnic minority and was wondering if that's why the price is so low :suspect:

whats the betting he doesnt get paid?