Sheffield local elections - May 2016

Chances are we'll get Labour again, to be fair they've not done a terrible job.

Streets Ahead is happening, stuff is happening on the long stalled city centre regeneration (well they've been on some nice holidays)

To be fair the centre of town is looking much better than it did a few years ago.

not done a terrible job hmmm i beg to differ julie bore and the cronies ruin sheffield

---------- Post added 06-10-2015 at 23:24 ----------

In Sheffield , like the rest of south yorkshire , you can pin a red rosette on a three legged donkey and the same people would still vote for it.

Its a sad reflection on this area of the country that it hasnt moved with the times ,and explains perfectly why the north (mainly labour ) / south (mainly Tory ) divide is so big.

exactly youll vote who your dad votes because you dont get a choice lol

I can't, at the moment, see a great deal of change. I would anticipate that the greens will lose their seats to Labour, outside the media focus of a general election and with Corbyn adopting anti-austerity politics.

The biggest question I suppose is whether those on the right of Labour will stick with them in some of the more middle class areas. Possibly seats in Walkley, Broomhill, Crookes, Ecclesfield, Nether Edge could be targeted, but I doubt many of them will change hands as things stand at the moment.

The biggest problem with Sheffield is the fact that it is a Labour stronghold, and they rarely have to worry about losing overall power. This means they are never seriously challenged and it has made them set in their ways and complacent.

I'd like to see them having to deal with a really major shakeup. Get some new young blood in, and someone who can seriously challenge their way of doing things. It's about time Sheffield Labour Council moved with the times, into the modern world, and also tried listening.

This is going to be fundamental with the new, all powerful Sheffield Mayor. It's essential we get candidates of the necessary calibre, and frankly, I can't see any of the current (or past) councillors able to do it.

Labour did lose control of the council to the Lib Dems between 1999-2002 and again between 2008-2011. However, when the main opposition group to Labour in Sheffield has Nick Clegg for it's local MP....

---------- Post added 07-10-2015 at 12:29 ----------

I can't, at the moment, see a great deal of change. I would anticipate that the greens will lose their seats to Labour, outside the media focus of a general election and with Corbyn adopting anti-austerity politics.

The biggest question I suppose is whether those on the right of Labour will stick with them in some of the more middle class areas. Possibly seats in Walkley, Broomhill, Crookes, Ecclesfield, Nether Edge could be targeted, but I doubt many of them will change hands as things stand at the moment.

Maybe the thing to look for is whether the Tories will find away back into the posher wards like Fulwood & Dore?

Labour did lose control of the council to the Lib Dems between 1999-2002 and again between 2008-2011. However, when the main opposition group to Labour in Sheffield has Nick Clegg for it's local MP....

---------- Post added 07-10-2015 at 12:29 ----------

Maybe the thing to look for is whether the Tories will find away back into the posher wards like Fulwood & Dore?

The Labour council certainly need some strong opposition. They're too used to getting all their own way...

I'm a life long Labour supporter and not because I'm brainless, just that I'm not heartless like the Conservatives and UKIP.

I doubt I could support them next year; I will probably vote Green where I can or otherwise abstain.

"Streets Ahead" mean our environment being vandalised and conservation areas being destroyed while a private company pay crap wages to their staff, dividends to their shareholders (from the theft of city assets) and stick two fingers up to the people of Sheffield. It's an unforgivable disgrace and not my idea of Labour values at all.

I'm a life long Labour supporter and not because I'm brainless, just that I'm not heartless like the Conservatives and UKIP.

I doubt I could support them next year; I will probably vote Green where I can or otherwise abstain.

"Streets Ahead" mean our environment being vandalised and conservation areas being destroyed while a private company pay crap wages to their staff, dividends to their shareholders (from the theft of city assets) and stick two fingers up to the people of Sheffield. It's an unforgivable disgrace and not my idea of Labour values at all.

Great post :hihi:

The Labour council certainly need some strong opposition. They're too used to getting all their own way...

I totally agree. However, the biggest reason for this situation right now isn't because Sheffielders are ideologically impure leftie morons as some on here would have you believe, but the state of the Lib Dems, who serve as the main opposition round here.

Will be going for the most right wing candidate available in the absence of no credible alternatives.

Hopefully the candidate can clear up the local area, move the unwashed elements on or at least away from sight and restore a bit of pride and civic duty to our community.

15-all at last count ;)

However unlikely the prospect...I'd actually love to see what the greens could do for Sheffield, hand-in-hand intelligently with the LibDems.

Edited by L00b