Sheffield local elections - May 2016

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Leeds see's itself as a challenger to Manchester, and Sheffield is just a niggly distraction. Part of me wonders whether there has been some sort of tacit agreement between Leeds and Sheffield to let Leeds prosper more, to be a rival to Manchester, for the greater good of Yorkshire as a whole.

The greater Manchester conurbation is about 4 times that of Sheffield. West Yorkshire - with Leeds as its main City is nearly 3 times as big as Sheffield.

Both contain some very rich "hinterlands" - the Manchester stockbroker belt - the "Golden Triangle" north of Leeds - we have the Hope Valley which is tiny in comparison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom

They are regional centres - we aint.

Looking forward to your figures for the other wards. What point are you trying to make here - I'm confused? Labour clearly got more more votes than Lib Dems

Total city-wide votes cast:

Labour 158,039 43.9%
LibDem  85,423 23.7%
Green   49,330 13.7%
UKIP    40,414 11.2%
Cons    22,254  6.2%
TUSC     3,109  0.9%
Ind        824  0.2%
York1st    399  0.1%

http://mdfs.net/Docs/Sheffield/Election/2016/

Labour 158,039 43.9%

LibDem 85,423 23.7%

Green 49,330 13.7%

UKIP 40,414 11.2%

Cons 22,254 6.2%

TUSC 3,109 0.9%

Ind 824 0.2%

York1st 399 0.1%

But I'm confused. I thought nobody was going to vote for Labour because of some trees?

The stats aside, the logic of some people on here is very amusing. Arguments along the lines of "SNP got more votes in Glasgow North than the Tories got in Birmingham Hall Green, so it means the SNP are more popular". Dear god.

Edited by Hambeast

I thought nobody was going to vote for Labour because of some trees?

They dint in beauchief and greenhill! :hihi:

---------- Post added 09-05-2016 at 21:22 ----------

Labour 158,039 43.9%

44% of votes

Yet 68% of seats on Council :loopy:

Shame Cameron screwed old Cleggy over PR :gag:

Woulda been a much fairer system!

Lib Dems been cheated out of 3 seats :mad:

They dint in beauchief and greenhill! :hihi:

---------- Post added 09-05-2016 at 21:22 ----------

44% of votes

Yet 68% of seats on Council :loopy:

Shame Cameron screwed old Cleggy over PR :gag:

Woulda been a much fairer system!

Lib Dems been cheated out of 3 seats :mad:

Scotland have had fairer local elections since 2007. Join the campaign to make it happen in England.

Thanks man :thumbsup:

Perhaps we could give the Lib Dems back their 3 seats ;)

You could go and ask those nice UKIP councillors in the North of the city for your 4 seats back or the even nicer Labour councillors for your 5 seats back.

The last time we had all out elections all 9 seats in East & West Ecclesfield and Stocksbridge were Lib Dem but now they don't have any.

Yet UKIP are going around saying UKIP are taking votes from Labour! You couldn't make it up.

You could go and ask those nice UKIP councillors in the North of the city for your 4 seats back or the even nicer Labour councillors for your 5 seats back.

The last time we had all out elections all 9 seats in East & West Ecclesfield and Stocksbridge were Lib Dem but now they don't have any.

Yet UKIP are going around saying UKIP are taking votes from Labour! You couldn't make it up.

I used to vote labour, I now vote ukip,