Medical Research Survey: Gluten intake and gastrointestinal symptoms

Hello!

I am postgraduate student training to become a doctor at the University of Sheffield. I am beginning the second year of my course by assisting with a research project.

In recent years, the protein gluten - found in wheat, barley and rye - has been demonised in the media. Popular cookery authors such as the Hemsley sisters and Ella Woodward have advocated a gluten free diet as an essential component of a healthy lifestyle. Whilst gluten is known to adversely affect patients with coeliac disease and wheat allergy, any negative effect in healthy individuals is contentious.

My research team is investigating how much gluten people are actually eating, and whether or not the level of gluten consumption correlates with gastrointestinal symptoms.

If you would like to take part, please email JIRichardson1@sheffield.ac.uk for a copy of the questionnaire. The forms are entirely anonymous and should take no more than 5 to 10 minutes to complete. Answers can be saved on the form and then emailed back to me.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me!

Many thanks for your interest.

Yours sincerely,

Jessica Richardson