Could Corbyn sue Cameron for slander after todays speech

In what world do you think bin ladens death was a tragedy? Tagging on the list of terrorist attacks and political **** ups doesn't make it a tragedy.

The world was robbed of a chance to see him on trial. Look at the damage to Saddam Hussein's reputation and his followers when he was put on trial. Taking a man who is seen as almost a God and presenting him broken and human can do unbelievable damage to a cause. Al Queda is a cause. You cannot call for 'western style democracy' a fundamental part of which is the court system, and then execute someone with a trial. That is a tragedy. If someone asks Corbyn, right you can't trial him for whatever reasons so you want him dead or released, I'm certain he'd say he'd prefer him dead.

Ironically, Cameron said 'the death of Bin Laden is a tragedy' at the Tory conference. Want a link?

---------- Post added 12-10-2015 at 11:35 ----------

what they wanted was for american special forces to lay down their lives to take a prisoner so that he could be put on trial. all this deep inside a hostile country. in the real world the general idea is to complete a mission with the minimum of risk to YOUR OWN forces.

Doesn't make a it not shame that they couldn't do it, even if it wasn't practical or possible.

The world was robbed of a chance to see him on trial. Look at the damage to Saddam Hussein's reputation and his followers when he was put on trial. Taking a man who is seen as almost a God and presenting him broken and human can do unbelievable damage to a cause. Al Queda is a cause. You cannot call for 'western style democracy' a fundamental part of which is the court system, and then execute someone with a trial. That is a tragedy. If someone asks Corbyn, right you can't trial him for whatever reasons so you want him dead or released, I'm certain he'd say he'd prefer him dead.

Ironically, Cameron said 'the death of Bin Laden is a tragedy' at the Tory conference. Want a link?

---------- Post added 12-10-2015 at 11:35 ----------

Doesn't make a it not shame that they couldn't do it, even if it wasn't practical or possible.

so not an execution or an assissination then. just a battle casualty like millions of others. perhaps he should have said that.

so not an execution or an assissination then. just a battle casualty like millions of others. perhaps he should have said that.

At what point has Corbyn said that? He said it was a tragedy that Bin Laden was killed rather than going on trial and surely most people would agree with that regardless of the practicalities of doing so.

The world was robbed of a chance to see him on trial. Look at the damage to Saddam Hussein's reputation and his followers when he was put on trial. Taking a man who is seen as almost a God and presenting him broken and human can do unbelievable damage to a cause. Al Queda is a cause. You cannot call for 'western style democracy' a fundamental part of which is the court system, and then execute someone with a trial. That is a tragedy.
I disagree.

The widespread televising of Saddam's and Mubarak's trials and of Gadhafi's demise were 98Ron petrol poured on the fire of the Arab Spring, which (aside only from the country in which it first occurred, 'naturally' through a popular movement and away from the geopolitical focus and meddling of the West, namely Tunisia) has turned into a nightmare of biblical proportions for the northern half of Africa (growing ever more southerly now) and a sizeable portion of the middle east.

Having OBL on a show trial would have made him 10 times the martyr and jihadi inspiration which his 'assassination' did.

As a death visited untimely on a human, yes it was a tragedy. That's about the whole extent of it. And perhaps a viable explanation for Corbyn's opinion, considering his militant humanism.

In all other respects, it was a blessing: imagine if he'd still been around with AQ, but since then gotten in cahoots with Boko Haram and IS.

Considering the level of geopolitical awareness and astuteness demonstrated by Corbyn to date, I am not surprised in the least at the magnitude of his naivety where OBL's death is concerned.

For the rest of it, drummonds is right: the US Special Ops strike was well planned and had OBL extracted alive as a mission goal, but the intelligence underpinning the mission was wonky in some respects, some of the most important hardware broke down (Murphy's Law alive and well), and so the plan did not survive first contact with the enemy. As you acknowledged that Corbyn would have wanted OBL dead rather than released if he couldn't be trialled, I don't see the logic in calling the event a tragedy, if your thoughts are correct.

Edited by L00b

I disagree.

The widespread televising of Saddam's and Mubarak's trials and of Gadhafi's demise were 98Ron petrol poured on the fire of the Arab Spring, which (aside only from the country in which it first occurred, 'naturally' through a popular movement and away from the geopolitical focus and meddling of the West, namely Tunisia) has turned into a nightmare of biblical proportions for the northern half of Africa (growing ever more southerly now) and a sizeable portion of the middle east.

Having OBL on a show trial would have made him 10 times the martyr and jihadi inspiration which his 'assassination' did.

As a death visited untimely on a human, yes it was a tragedy. That's about the whole extent of it. And perhaps a viable explanation for Corbyn's opinion, considering his militant humanism.

In all other respects, it was a blessing: imagine if he'd still been around with AQ, but since then gotten in cahoots with Boko Haram and IS.

Considering the level of geopolitical awareness and astuteness demonstrated by Corbyn to date, I am not surprised in the least at the magnitude of his naivety where OBL's death is concerned.

For the rest of it, drummonds is right: the US Special Ops strike was well planned and had OBL extracted alive as a mission goal, but the intelligence underpinning the mission was wonky in some respects, some of the most important hardware broke down (Murphy's Law alive and well), and so the plan did not survive first contact with the enemy. As you acknowledged that Corbyn would have wanted OBL dead rather than released if he couldn't be trialled, I don't see the logic in calling the event a tragedy, if your thoughts are correct.

indeed. it was an attack on armed enemy positions in which there were casualties. the priority in such circumstances is to accomplish the mission with the minimum of casualties to your own forces. the mission was to remove bin laden from circulation. mission accomplished i'd say.

then execute someone with a trial.

That isn't what happened. Bin Laden wasn't executed.

A group of soldiers went to arrest him. Bin Laden was doomed from the moment that he picked up his own gun and pointed it at a soldier.

Try pointing a gun at an armed British policeman in Fargate this afternoon to see if you get a trail before they shoot you dead.

try reading post 127 then post that again.

You are correct, he did say assassination. I now worry about my reading skills. I still agree with him, and to be honest the US clearly went in with the sole purpose of killing Bin Laden whether he could have been captured or not, and that is an assassination. All this about how they wanted to capture him...yeah, sure. And seeing as now how many Seals have now claimed to been the one that shot him, are we at more than 3 yet?, I would suggest evidence offered by those there should be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

---------- Post added 12-10-2015 at 15:37 ----------

I disagree.

Perhaps, but what he isn't saying is he's gutted OBL is dead and that they could have been bestest buddies if only the nasty Americans hadn't killed him, yet that is what the press and the Tories are peddling and it's quite irritating...

Edited by sgtkate

You are correct, he did say assassination. I now worry about my reading skills. I still agree with him, and to be honest they US clearly went in with the sole purpose of killing Bin Laden whether he could have been captured or not, and that is an assassination.

---------- Post added 12-10-2015 at 15:37 ----------

Perhaps, but what he isn't saying is he's gutted OBL is dead and that they could have been bestest buddies if only the nasty Americans hadn't killed him, yet that is what the press and the Tories are peddling and it's quite irritating...

Do you think he'd had come quietly?

Genuine question

Do you think he'd had come quietly?

Genuine question

God no. The thing is that the Seal's might well haver made the right decision and probably did. It DOESN'T stop it being a true shame he was never put on trial. Although what loob put has made me think, but I would still much rather he had been found guilty in a UN sanctioned court, that's all. The world is almost certainly better off with him dead mind you and it has saved the court costs so some good news at least :)