Can you work for minimum wage ?

So you packed in being a plasterer due to the pressure (cough) and decided to become a bouncer instead. Were there no vacancies in bomb disposals?

Lol i see your point but it didnt go like that, i didnt stop plastering to become a bouncer, being a bouncer seemed to find me.

I could work for minimum wage as I can afford to. But the job would have to be easy physically and mentally.

Yes if you have been used to good money then it will be hard to come down to minimum wage. But you say you are a plasterer?

I can well understand that you don't want to go back into self employment chasing clients for work and money it is not worth it. But have you considered being employed as a plasterer? Let someone else do the leg work and you just turn up, do your 40 hours a week and get paid.

Pm me I know a couple of plastering Co's that may help you.

If you had to work for min wage (plenty do) then needs must, but have a plan on what youd like to do and then get yourself some eductaion, training or experience to set you on that career path. Self employed tradesperson if you are any good unless you fancy getting yourself a more significant level of qualifications.

I am looking for a new job as im sick of working on the doors only doing 5 to 6 hours maybe 3 nights a week, its late at night and really feel i dont get paid enough as its £10 ph so £50-£60 per night. I really think it should be £80 to £100 per night for the crap i put up with people trying to glass me etc lol.

I have been looking at other security jobs and other jobs in general and they seem to be paying around £7 per hour which i personally wouldnt scratch my behind for never mind consider, i really think my problem has come from earning to much at such a young age as when i was in my early 20,s i was on £15 per hour for years and had money coming out if my ears being a plasterer.

Whats your views thanks.

Why not? You could get a minimum wage job in a field you would like and not have the nights and hassle that you seemingly dislike in your current role. That minimum wage job could be an entry route into a field of work with progression to earn much more.

If the bottom line is purely money, then a FULL TIME minimum wage job would leave you with around £230 a week after tax which is obviously more than you are getting now anyway. Come April next year that's gonna increase to about £250 a week after tax.

Whilst I agree your job has its hazards and you get "crap" from the public, so do lots of other people working in service jobs who are on a lot less than £10 an hour. Like it or not, door security is always considered lower paid work and a jump to £100 a day will never happen - it would equate to more pay than a newly qualified Police Officer or Junior Doctor.

Its hard to adjust after earning self employed big money to suddenly not be, however, a salaried job (even one so lowly as a minimum wage role) can have big advantages. Never under estimate the benefits of a REGULAR income. No dry spell, no hassle having to manage your own taxes and accounts, no chasing customers for payment, no having to supply your own tools and equipment.

Why not? You could get a minimum wage job in a field you would like and not have the nights and hassle that you seemingly dislike in your current role. That minimum wage job could be an entry route into a field of work with progression to earn much more.

If the bottom line is purely money, then a FULL TIME minimum wage job would leave you with around £230 a week after tax which is obviously more than you are getting now anyway. Come April next year that's gonna increase to about £250 a week after tax.

Whilst I agree your job has its hazards and you get "crap" from the public, so do lots of other people working in service jobs who are on a lot less than £10 an hour. Like it or not, door security is always considered lower paid work and a jump to £100 a day will never happen - it would equate to more pay than a newly qualified Police Officer or Junior Doctor.

Its hard to adjust after earning self employed big money to suddenly not be, however, a salaried job (even one so lowly as a minimum wage role) can have big advantages. Never under estimate the benefits of a REGULAR income. No dry spell, no hassle having to manage your own taxes and accounts, no chasing customers for payment, no having to supply your own tools and equipment.

Thanks for that and i do see your point but i serously lack motivation when i know its around minimum wage and know i wouldnt last 2 minutes. I think i may have to re train.

Thanks for that and i do see your point but i serously lack motivation when i know its around minimum wage and know i wouldnt last 2 minutes. I think i may have to re train.

My nephew did door and other security work for several years, but now he's in the prison service. Its not for everyone, but it seemed a logical step for him, and it's given him a reasonable salary with job security and a future. Might be an option to consider?

Edited by Ms Macbeth