Business advice (ish)

Due to a change in circumstances i'm pondering on buying a sandwich shop or tea room.

Couple of issue really, i haven't a clue about making sarnies so ideally i'd retain the staff and learn from there,simply replacing the current owners.

Has anyone done this or does anyone know of anyone in the business looking to get out?

Due to a change in circumstances i'm pondering on buying a sandwich shop or tea room.

Couple of issue really, i haven't a clue about making sarnies so ideally i'd retain the staff and learn from there,simply replacing the current owners.

Has anyone done this or does anyone know of anyone in the business looking to get out?

good luck but its not an easy trade we had a cafe bar at one point, long hours and little reward over time, you will need to offer something very good qualtiy and with it being sheffield people will be price picky, staff costs eat into your margin so be prepared for all day every day and then sorting paperwork and supplies. also bear in mind why someone is selling a sandwich shop, cafe /tea room its usually that its not making money.

you stand a fighting chance if you set something up from scratch with a USP without paying someone a premium.pm if you want any info

If they're not making money from it then perhaps the staff aren't making good sarnies. You've got to lead a business from the front. Your staff will run rings round you if they think you don't know what you're doing.

I don't know about making sarnies but they will know which ones are a hassle to make and may stop doing them.

Employing people is a nightmare.

The tupe comment is golden.

Start from scratch as the above person says and make sure you've got parking outside so people can stop. Make sure you control the parking and not SCC who have a habit of ruining small businesses by screwing up the footfall at the whim of someone in the town hall with a guaranteed job for life.

---------- Post added 08-10-2015 at 22:27 ----------

Sorry ignore all the above. Running your own business is easy. Nothing to it except the problem of counting the cash :roll:

If they're not making money from it then perhaps the staff aren't making good sarnies. You've got to lead a business from the front. Your staff will run rings round you if they think you don't know what you're doing.

I don't know about making sarnies but they will know which ones are a hassle to make and may stop doing them.

Employing people is a nightmare.

The tupe comment is golden.

Start from scratch as the above person says and make sure you've got parking outside so people can stop. Make sure you control the parking and not SCC who have a habit of ruining small businesses by screwing up the footfall at the whim of someone in the town hall with a guaranteed job for life.

---------- Post added 08-10-2015 at 22:27 ----------

Sorry ignore all the above. Running your own business is easy. Nothing to it except the problem of counting the cash :roll:

The ronster is correct. Unless you are going high end, the only way you'll earn money is by being in the trenches (or kitchen). I wouldn't rule it out myself as a business - but only one that you are going be heavily involved in. It's not an investment opportunity.

not necessarily, if the sandwich shop is run as a limited company rather than a sole trader/partnership then there is no transfer.

I'm no legal expert, but I have bought sole traders and limiteds. Both times I was subject to tupe regs. A lawyer will tell you better, but I believe tupe counts either way.

I'd ask why a business was for sale.

Retirement with nobody to pass it on to is fair reason. Falling trade and or margins needs some investigation and makes you wonder if they're selling up while it still has some value.

I'm looking at one or two options where the owner has other businesses, obviously these either don't make any money or they're hardwork.

I missed out on one at Crosspool,in so far it had been sold when i enquired about it.

It may be pie in the sky but it's still a thought.