How are schools regulated?

A relative of mine has a child at this school ..

http://www.spenboroughguardian.co.uk/news/local/morley-academy-parents-lobby-for-u-turn-1-7500769

and it has been said that the head is a Ofstead inspector. Sir John Townsley.

It seems to go against natural justice that a head of a school is an inspector of schools, rather like the police investigating themselves.

I have googled and cannot find a list of inspectors, perhaps they like to keep these things quiet?

http://www.spenboroughguardian.co.uk/news/local/morley-academy-parents-lobby-for-u-turn-1-7500769

It seems to go against natural justice that a head of a school is an inspector of schools, rather like the police investigating themselves.

I have googled and cannot find a list of inspectors, perhaps they like to keep these things quiet?

Don't the police usually investigate themselves? It's usually another force though, so I'd imagine that it's the same in this instance. So, although he's an Ofsted inspector he'll have nothing to do with the inspection of his own school.

The Ofsted reports that I've seen always list the names of the Inspectors at the end. In the case of the Senior school reports I've seen, it has been one lead inspector, and four others. I don't know if that applies across the board.

Edit. I've just googled Morley Academy Ofsted report. It came up, and the five assessors are named.

Edited by Eater Sundae

The Ofsted reports that I've seen always list the names of the Inspectors at the end. In the case of the Senior school reports I've seen, it has been one lead inspector, and four others. I don't know if that applies across the board.

Edit. I've just googled Morley Academy Ofsted report. It came up, and the five assessors are named.

So John Townsley didnt inspect one his own schools, it was a mate/colleague of his.

---------- Post added 10-10-2015 at 15:20 ----------

In the same area there is another school that usually gets better exam results, but Morley Academy always got an "outstanding" rating, but yet that was never mentioned for the school with better results; now I know why, because its a group of friends that give the rankings.

So John Townsley didnt inspect one his own schools, it was a mate/colleague of his.

In the same area there is another school that usually gets better exam results, but Morley Academy always got an "outstanding" rating, but yet that was never mentioned for the school with better results; now I know why, because its a group of friends that give the rankings.

How do you know that John Townsley's Ofsted colleagues are his friends? They might not stand the sight of him!

Thinking of it, they might not even know him.

How do you know that John Townsley's Ofsted colleagues are his friends? They might not stand the sight of him!

Thinking of it, they might not even know him.

I agree. There are many ofsted "teams" and it is unlikely that people in one even know the people in another.

They should be all up-front then, I am merely suggesting these things, I would liked to be proved wrong.

Better exam results is not defined by ofsted as the most A’ and A* grades. It is defined by the greatest value added. For example when a secondary school receives a pupil who is at a stage that with average progression with an average teacher would get a grade B and does get a grade B then no value has been added (or lost). However if another pupil in a different group would get a grade E but gets a grade C then significant value has been added. Ofsted and most others in education would consider that although the grade B is the highest grade the teacher who taught the pupil who got the grade C did the better job as the pupil got 2 grades higher than expected.

If when all schools results are researched it is found that one school has an average higher value added then that school is the one which is considered to be performing best. Not the one which started off with the brighter pupils but didn’t make as much progress even if they do finish with the higher grades.

If the intake at the other school are more advanced than at Morley Academy, then it wouldn't be a surprise if they get better exam results.

Also, Ofsted doesn't just look at exam results. It covers lots of "softer" stuff, including pupil safety, integration, how the most disadvantaged of its pupils perform.

Also, how do you "know" it is the heads mates who assess the Academy?

---------- Post added 10-10-2015 at 22:55 ----------

They should be all up-front then, I am merely suggesting these things, I would liked to be proved wrong.

In what way aren't they up front? The Ofsted Report includes the names of the assessors. What more should they do?