Haigh Tree Inn Bernard Street

1789a

Anyone remember the Haigh Tree Inn? It was demolished to make way for the Hyde Park Flats.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u02076&pos=2&action=zoom&id=37395

The real question is:- In the late 1950's there was a jazz club upstairs in the pub and I was told, some years ago, by a former attendee by the name of John Gilpin that on more than one occasion American blues singers performed there after hours and after they had played elsewhere in the city. One of these, Champion Jack Dupree, is said to have dossed down in the bar when it became too late to travel on to where he was supposed to have been going. Are there any more memories of the club or pub out there?

Edited by 1789a

My nephews in laws had that pub, I only learnt of its existence just a couple of months ago. I'm afraid his in laws are both dead now unfortunately. Wasn't Champion Jack Dupree billed as " Champion Jack Duprees bIg Sound"?

My nephews in laws had that pub, I only learnt of its existence just a couple of months ago. I'm afraid his in laws are both dead now unfortunately.

I'd be grateful if you could let him know of my interest and feed back any information he might have