Your memories of the blackouts in the 70s?

poppet2

I remember looking at the blackout 'rota' in the local paper and wondering why Fulwood had all their electric cuts in daytime hours..................

We lived at Stannington (village!) right at the top of the hill. I remember looking across the valley in envy at the lights at Fulwood when we were in darkness and the cold trying to do our homework by candlelight and flash light.

Edited by Daven

I was working at Sharrow telephone exchange at the time of the blackouts. Every time there was a power cut, the 3-phase diesel-powered generators in the basement would start up. If you were standing next to them at the time, it was terrifying, as there was no warning. The whole building seemed to vibrate when the generators were running.

Edited by fatrajah

I was a van salesman for ''The Ever Ready Company (GB) Ltd'' selling batteries and torches etc at the time covering shops in Rotherham and Worksop and outlying villages plus the part of Sheffield north of and including Firvale.

One may think I was ''doing a bomb'' with sales, however I had no more stock available to meet the vastly increased demand, and shared it out proportionately between my clients. Most of them understood, but some were ''not happy''. This all made my life harder. I know that some salesmen in other areas just sold out early and went home leaving many shops without any stock at all. Not a good time in my life. :(

Edited by PeterR

Remember going to Bradford Woolens as a young 'un during the blackouts, inside the shop was lit entirely by hurricane lamps, no chance of that today, health and safety would see to that, even if they did they'd probably have all their stock pinched it was that gloomy inside.

Used to have to finish school early, dash home, homework and tea before the power went off at (I think) 5 o'clock then sat in candlelight all night listening to the radio or playing board games.

Wonder how we'd all cope these days in the same situation?

Remember going to Bradford Woolens as a young 'un during the blackouts, inside the shop was lit entirely by hurricane lamps, no chance of that today, health and safety would see to that, even if they did they'd probably have all their stock pinched it was that gloomy inside.

Used to have to finish school early, dash home, homework and tea before the power went off at (I think) 5 o'clock then sat in candlelight all night listening to the radio or playing board games.

Wonder how we'd all cope these days in the same situation?

Funny thing about your last line, in August 2004 all of the north eastern USA, and all eastern Canada were blacked out, some places for several days, Toronto was hit and miss and my area was only in darkness for one overnight. However I was amazed as we sat outside on our deck observing other people's backyards, it was like a campground , kids I didn't know existed were running all over the place etc. I suppose they would normally be playing video games, what a sad testament to modern lifestyles