Your memories of the blackouts in the 70s?

poppet2

Used to have to finish school early, dash home, homework and tea before the power went off at (I think) 5 o'clock then sat in candlelight all night listening to the radio or playing board games.

You were lucky!

We had to...

We had two car headlights wired upto car batteries in the living room,the minute the lights went off,we hooked up the live wire.

You could tell when one was comming when you were watching tv,the picture started going blurry,as if the tv was at the bottom of a swimming pool.

Happy days,candle makers made absolute fortunes,they were never that busy normally.

As a 12 yr old it was mostly excitement and checking the star for the rota times always made it more interesting.At least U could rely on the rota to be correct even if IT meant 4 hours or so of listening to the only battery radio in the House.(They werent that common in those days.)

I remembered my dad had wired up light bulbs to car batteries in the living room and kitchen and the stupid nosey neighbours from the next street who could see into our house came round to complain because we had lights and they didn't my dad sent them away with a flea in the ear and they never spoke to us for years afterwards probubally did us a big favour!

I think it was at this time that me and a couple of mates wagged school to watch the Blades play on a (tuesday?) afternoon because they could'nt use the floodlights. Did we beat West Ham 3-2?, it was a long time ago!.

That's right Mike. But we won 3-0. Billy Dearden hattrick. It was the week after the famous Pele match at Hillsborough. Our school wouldn't let us go to that match but the week after I remember just walking out of school to go down t'Lane.