To retired people

Regards Not Liking French People One Can Have The Misfortune To Meet The Wrong People In Any Country.

I really like the french, "some of my best friends" and all that. But Arthur, I'm sure my pension goes further here in Spain, the weathers better too. And before you say it, you dont have to live in Benidorm, I live 40k north of there , its much greener than the near desert around Benidorm and I have a quiet beach 200mts away and a beautiful mountain 2k away.

You just have to get used to Manana.

My husband and i are doing that right now, retired from full time work, house paid for (took about 28 years) now moving south from connecticut where the houses and tax are half the price, warmer weather, having a brand new house built, in-ground pool ,buying new furniture, money left over to travel, we will also be able to afford to have someone to take care of the pool, property and house cleaning, what more could we ask for ?

Poppins

I feel so jealous just of your description never mind actually doing it. Good luck and every happiness with your move.

Texas & Florida..

Don't care for Florida much , think it's going to be a toss-up between Greenville SC or Roswell GA, we have family in both places, but i have a feeling it's going to be GA, just looking forward to having a nice new house, in-ground pool and travelin money left over, health permitting of course.

People seem to think we should go into one of those nice senior living places, golf course ect, old enough but not quite ready to be told what we can do and what we can't do if you know what i mean, also most of the homes in those places are wonderfull but most of them you only own the house and not the property, NO GOOD!

Anyhow thanks for asking, sorry you asked now, i bet!:rolleyes:

Not at all Poppins,Florida is not everybodys cuppa,very hot in summer but I like the heat,it's the cold I can't stand. Anyway Carolina is good,not too enarmoured with Georgia though. Have you been out west to Washington State or Oregon,if not have a look,wonderful people,great scenery.:hihi:

• 2 years later...
Not at all Poppins,Florida is not everybodys cuppa,very hot in summer but I like the heat,it's the cold I can't stand. Anyway Carolina is good,not too enarmoured with Georgia though. Have you been out west to Washington State or Oregon,if not have a look,wonderful people,great scenery.:hihi:

Hey Floridablade: Lived in Florida 3 times so been there done that but please don't knock Georgia. Been here 20 years now and love it. People are very laid back. We live almost on the FL state line in a small university town but don't have expense of living in your state. Have also lived in Washington and Oregon - very cold and very wet. It rains in Astoria EVERY day - very gloomy. Portland is beautiful and the Oregon coastline is hard to beat, but all in all we love it here even with the humidity at times. At least it doesn't snow!

Well, I like France - its culture, people, scenery, food, wine etc. (et je parle assez bien français) and I think that overall the French enjoy one of the best lifestyles in Europe. But Lincolnshire will do fine for Mrs hillsbro and me in our retirement. The Wolds and other beauty spots are on our doorstep, friendly people, no steep hills to climb in our slightly-arthritic 60s, and with family in Sheffield only an hour or so away. We "escape" to somewhere sunny for a few weeks each winter (South Africa last year, Spain this year).

But France has a lot going for it; I particularly like Provence and the Vosges region.

Is anybody else troubled by negative stereotypical comments about French people ? Surely people are people the world over, some good some not so good. It borders on racism to me. Does this board have a principled stance on racism.

Incidentally I have a house in rural France, Languedoc-Rousillon.

Archived