Sheffield to be the world's first "outdoor city".

The point I was making is that a zoo is very expensive and wouldn't be worthwhile for Sheffield.

I don't think Sheffield is lacking in facilities for children compared to any other city, it's up to you to entertain them, not the council.

That's a pretty pants answer really a zoo does cost a fair bit, but it adds too jobs/tourism education and brings in a fair bit of money through entry fees gifts cafes etc, why is it up to you to decide what's worthwhile for sheffield does the buck stop with you? Are you the only person to entertain ?

So give me an idea on some of the fantastic facilities for children in Sheffield please do share seen as your so up to date, ponds forge maybe ? Or a kids play centre oh there's a few of those, or maybe what about a cinema ?? Where not short of those now if my kids don't want to do those for the 100000 time I'm sure they would love to go to the park as they don't don't that a few times a week do they.

I'm not asking the council to entertain them but apart from their idea that we make Sheffield some kind of special green zone would having some other tourist attractions hurt ? Would it not be beneficial in creating jobs/ diversity and tourism to have some other attractions ?? Like said before a zoo or aquarium decent museum etc

You seem to have the bog standard sheffielder attitude which is I'm alright jack if your not happy go somewhere else, it's always worked well for Sheffield that attitude hasn't it.....

The point I was making is that a zoo is very expensive and wouldn't be worthwhile for Sheffield.

I don't think Sheffield is lacking in facilities for children compared to any other city, it's up to you to entertain them, not the council.

Sheffield is very good and fine the way it is but does not compete with other cities in any way shape or form on supplying facilities for children.

When I say "does not compete" that means it is not fighting or competing with other cities and does not mean that Sheffield is bad in any way.

When I was a child we often went to zoo's, every city had its own zoo so we could go to different ones in nearby cities as well. Every city had its own outdoor swimming pool. But we did not have something as big as the indoor Cineworld.

In order to claim the outdoor status you have to work for it as a city. You have to make a zoo, playgrounds, ski slopes, basketball courts, pools, tennis courts, cycle paths. I would say Sheffield is reasonable at that but not enough to claim the outdoor status.

If you take a green area or park and use these trees to claim some outdoor status for a society that in reality will throw their waste in many of these places is insulting and abusive towards the very outdoor places they are trying to claim ownership over.

We've moved on from "Zoos" these days thankfully ; from the days when towns like Knaresborough had run down grotty cages with miserable creatures captive within - we have Yorkshire Wildlife Park, which is not Sheffield's but is in the best place for such a facility and within easy reach

Better than re-opening the bear pit of it's original purpose

We've moved on from "Zoos" these days thankfully ; from the days when towns like Knaresborough had run down grotty cages with miserable creatures captive within - we have Yorkshire Wildlife Park, which is not Sheffield's but is in the best place for such a facility and within easy reach

Better than re-opening the bear pit of it's original purpose

Good point but I imagine they wouldn't be able to do that nowadays, there are rules and regulations to adhere to I imagine ???

My point stands zoo or not, I've lived in Sheffield all my life and the problem I have is there's nothing I can do here that I haven't done a 1000 times before, it would be nice to have somewhere to spend my money and see something educational rather than just a wander around Meadowhall, which I never do because I don't need to buy anything.

If I want to do anything I have to travel out of Sheffield which shows my money is benefiting other cities and towns, which is the original point I was trying to make !

It would be nice if we could actually spend our hard earned here rather than somewhere else surely that's a better idea than wobbling on all the time about climbing and walking, everyone and there uncle knows Sheffields good for that but it doesn't seem apparent where any good for anything else .....

That's a pretty pants answer really a zoo does cost a fair bit, but it adds too jobs/tourism education and brings in a fair bit of money through entry fees gifts cafes etc, why is it up to you to decide what's worthwhile for sheffield does the buck stop with you? Are you the only person to entertain ?

I seriously doubt the economic argument for a zoo, otherwise there'd be a private zoo here already.

They council don't have to entertain me either.

So give me an idea on some of the fantastic facilities for children in Sheffield please do share seen as your so up to date, ponds forge maybe ? Or a kids play centre oh there's a few of those, or maybe what about a cinema ?? Where not short of those now if my kids don't want to do those for the 100000 time I'm sure they would love to go to the park as they don't don't that a few times a week do they.

Well I don't know what your kids do already.

But you've already listed several council and/or privately run things they can do... There's also loads of possible sports and activities they could try.

I'm pretty sure that I didn't say that Sheffield had loads of fantastic facilities. I said that it was pretty similar to other cities...

You seem to have the bog standard sheffielder attitude which is I'm alright jack if your not happy go somewhere else, it's always worked well for Sheffield that attitude hasn't it.....

No, I have the attitude that the council currently have a very, very tight budget, it's being cut every year by the tory government and they can't really increase council tax to compensate.

They have to priorities, and kids facilities, which definitely won't turn a profit, can't be a large priority (they need some spending, and I'm sure park upkeep isn't free), but a zoo, or an aquarium, no, not a priority.

BTW - for something different for your kids, have you tried the kids climbing wall at the climbing works in Heeley?

---------- Post added 18-10-2015 at 21:40 ----------

Sheffield is very good and fine the way it is but does not compete with other cities in any way shape or form on supplying facilities for children.

When I say "does not compete" that means it is not fighting or competing with other cities and does not mean that Sheffield is bad in any way.

Yes, Dutch, like every other time you post, Sheffield is rubbish and some city that you've picked at random, NYC maybe, or Sydney perhaps, will have much better facilities.

When I was a child we often went to zoo's, every city had its own zoo

Maybe in your own personal fantasy this is true. But in the real world it is not, and never has been.

so we could go to different ones in nearby cities as well. Every city had its own outdoor swimming pool. But we did not have something as big as the indoor Cineworld.

This was not in the UK though was it, where outdoor pools are a stupid idea for most of the year.

---------- Post added 18-10-2015 at 21:44 ----------

Good point but I imagine they wouldn't be able to do that nowadays, there are rules and regulations to adhere to I imagine ???

My point stands zoo or not, I've lived in Sheffield all my life and the problem I have is there's nothing I can do here that I haven't done a 1000 times before, it would be nice to have somewhere to spend my money and see something educational rather than just a wander around Meadowhall, which I never do because I don't need to buy anything.

If I want to do anything I have to travel out of Sheffield which shows my money is benefiting other cities and towns, which is the original point I was trying to make !

It would be nice if we could actually spend our hard earned here rather than somewhere else surely that's a better idea than wobbling on all the time about climbing and walking, everyone and there uncle knows Sheffields good for that but it doesn't seem apparent where any good for anything else .....

Nothing you can do.

I'll take that challenge.

When did you last take up Judo, or Jui Jitsu?

When did you last Ice Skate?

When did you last learn to Tango?

When did you last run on a track or with a group?

When did you last do some lead climbing or bouldering?

When did you last play snooker?

Millennium Gallery?

Weston Park Museum?

College Night Course (you want to learn something right)?

Talk at the university (see one, not give one)?

Go Karting?

Skeet Shooting?

Golf?

That's a random, and very short list, and I bet there's something there that you've never done, never mind done a thousand times!

We had a ski village, one that was envied and is still referenced by winter olympics athletes who used it

I wonder if all those bemoaning its current sorry state ever used it? (I include myself in that - and no, I didn't. Well, just the once)

We had a ski village, one that was envied and is still referenced by winter olympics athletes who used it

I wonder if all those bemoaning its current sorry state ever used it? (I include myself in that - and no, I didn't. Well, just the once)

... and that is exactly what would happen again, no matter what 'state of the art' facilities we built. :(

Most Sheffielders are like the small child at Christmas...

... they'd play with the new toy once or twice until the novelty wore off, and then spend most of their time playing with the empty box and moaning that they're bored and have no new toys to play with! :roll:

I did, less than 10 times though. Enough to get basic lessons and to realise that dendrex is horrible stuff. I've also used several of the artificial snow domes that we have nearby, they're better, but still rubbish, it's so disappointing compared to really being in the mountains that I refuse to use them anymore.

Cyclone my posts on Sheffield responding on your posts have often a personal character now. You are trying so hard to keep your personal ego personality attached to a little place on this big planet in this universe. It appears to me (correct me if I'm wrong here) your problem is that unless this teddybear of yours called Sheffield is bigger and better or at least equal to all the other teddybears out there you start to get upset. I have sometimes tickled your teddybear but cant be bothered to do that anymore.

Everytime I mention that a grown up person no longer needs a teddybear you tell me I hate yours and you spit at me.

Sheffield is good and does have a great outdoors, I always find entertaining things in and around Sheffield but I find these things in other citys as well.

Now if Sheffield starts saying they are some sort of special outdoor they look rather foolish to me, perhaps they have never seen the world outside Sheffield.

“There aren’t many cities in the UK that have got very definable identities,” said Coun Leigh Bramall, Sheffield Council cabinet member for development.

“Edinburgh has, Liverpool because of its dock history, but not so much in places like Leeds, Manchester and Nottingham.

Nottingham - Robin Hood.

Manchester - Music, cotton, football, Commonwealth games to name but a few.

I have a real problem with Leigh Bramall and his blinkered ignorance.