Sheffield to be the world's first "outdoor city".

http://www.europeanoutdoorsummit.com/ apparently this went really well and is part of the Outdoor City idea. We also hosted a succesful event in the summer in Ecclesall woods which attracted about 90 local outdoor focused businesses. The Outdoor City message is also being promoted when trying to attract inward investment.

In short it's not some flash in the pan idea or just a buzzword, it's an integral part of the city's economic strategy.

Edited by NewBiz

Cyclone my posts on Sheffield responding on your posts have often a personal character now. You are trying so hard to keep your personal ego personality attached to a little place on this big planet in this universe. It appears to me (correct me if I'm wrong here) your problem is that unless this teddybear of yours called Sheffield is bigger and better or at least equal to all the other teddybears out there you start to get upset. I have sometimes tickled your teddybear but cant be bothered to do that anymore.

Everytime I mention that a grown up person no longer needs a teddybear you tell me I hate yours and you spit at me.

Sheffield is good and does have a great outdoors, I always find entertaining things in and around Sheffield but I find these things in other citys as well.

Now if Sheffield starts saying they are some sort of special outdoor they look rather foolish to me, perhaps they have never seen the world outside Sheffield.

What on earth are you talking about?

I respond to your posts in the question of Sheffield because you are without fail extremely negative and always suggest that you've seen better, lived somewhere that does it better and that Sheffield can't compete and shouldn't even try.

Let's see, what "outdoors" things can be done in and around Sheffield.

- Run one of the many organised runs, be it the half marathon, the Sheffield Round Run, Great Yorkshire Run, Sheffield Ten Ten Ten, or the Percy Pud.

- Have a crack at some of the Fell Runs in the Peak District.

- Climb one of the many artificial walls in the city, or get yourself out to the Peak District and have a go at boldering/climbing there.

- Cycling, both mountain and road. The city has some amazing countryside on it's doorstep which is ideal for cycling.

- Kayaking/canoeing, plenty of water courses in the area where you can do this.

- Sailing, a few lakes in the area have sailing clubs and offer lessons and sailing sessions.

- Rowing, again there are clubs at one or two of lakes in and around the city that offer lessons and/or sessions.

- Open water swimming.

- Athletics.

- Trekking/walking.

The area is full of things for the outdoors type, I am sure there are plenty of other things I have not included in the above list. There are loads of clubs in the city that partake in the above activities and would more than oblige getting people involved.

And people say Sheffield does not have many outdoors activities :roll:

Sheffield has also decided to brand 2016 as the 'Year of Making' with festivals and events across the city!

I am so inspired by the undoubted talent for strategic marketing that Creative Sheffield continue to display that I intend to have a go as well and am now actively planning to brand myself at some point in the future.

I am however, unsure where to hold the required conference or what font to use for my strap line but am confident that my efforts will result in an increase in city centre hotel bookings, improved social cohesion and greater inward investment.

Let's see, what "outdoors" things can be done in and around Sheffield.

- Run one of the many organised runs, be it the half marathon, the Sheffield Round Run, Great Yorkshire Run, Sheffield Ten Ten Ten, or the Percy Pud.

- Have a crack at some of the Fell Runs in the Peak District.

- Climb one of the many artificial walls in the city, or get yourself out to the Peak District and have a go at boldering/climbing there.

- Cycling, both mountain and road. The city has some amazing countryside on it's doorstep which is ideal for cycling.

- Kayaking/canoeing, plenty of water courses in the area where you can do this.

- Sailing, a few lakes in the area have sailing clubs and offer lessons and sailing sessions.

- Rowing, again there are clubs at one or two of lakes in and around the city that offer lessons and/or sessions.

- Open water swimming.

- Athletics.

- Trekking/walking.

The area is full of things for the outdoors type, I am sure there are plenty of other things I have not included in the above list. There are loads of clubs in the city that partake in the above activities and would more than oblige getting people involved.

And people say Sheffield does not have many outdoors activities :roll:

Not going to argue with any of that - for the good people of sheffield its a good deal. But is it going to bring people from further away - which I presume is the point of this council initiative?

---------- Post added 19-10-2015 at 22:37 ----------

- Heeley city farm

- fishing

- outdoor music festivals

South Yorkshire is the course fishing capital of the country.

When did you last take up Judo, or Jui Jitsu?

When did you last Ice Skate?

When did you last learn to Tango?

When did you last play snooker?

Millennium Gallery?

Weston Park Museum?

College Night Course (you want to learn something right)?

Talk at the university (see one, not give one)?

That's a random, and very short list, and I bet there's something there that you've never done, never mind done a thousand times!

That's a random and very short list that has nothing to do with an "outdoor city". You have completely missed the point.

That's a random and very short list that has nothing to do with an "outdoor city". You have completely missed the point.

No, you just failed to read what I was replying to, which was.

I've lived in Sheffield all my life and the problem I have is there's nothing I can do here that I haven't done a 1000 times before

Notice how he's not been back to say that he's done all the things I listed 1000 times.

South Yorkshire is the course fishing capital of the country.

South Yorkshire is good for fishing just like other places.

When looking on the national UK fishing sites south Yorkshire is only a little mentioned in between many more other places in UK, how can it be the capital of the country? These national UK fishing sites don't give any place that status whatsoever.

Edited by dutch