Stargazing do you do it?

Hello I was just wondering if any of you enjoy stargazing on a nice clear night, I really enjoy it I am tempted to get a amateur telescope does anyone have one they can recommend also?

Try going to the Sheffield Astronomical Society as they have plenty of people who can give good advice on what gear is best. As a starter you may find that binoculars may be better for you but it depend on exactly what you want to see.

They have a meet tomorrow from 7pm till 10pm and will have different power telescopes set up for you to look through.

https://www.sheffieldastro.org.uk/

PS Its free but a donation on the night would be good.

Edited by apelike

Hello I was just wondering if any of you enjoy stargazing on a nice clear night, I really enjoy it I am tempted to get a amateur telescope does anyone have one they can recommend also?

Have you got any stargazing apps for your smart phone?

no Ive not is there any you can recommend Ive got the 2015 guide to the night sky book ?

I was going to ask you if you could recommend one!

A few of my friends have some, and they say that they're priceless for recognising what they're looking at in the night sky.

I'm fascinated by the night sky but seldom if ever get to stay up and gaze. Either work the following morning, family life or simply poor weather always seems to get in the way.

Last Saturday morning I woke up around 06:00 peered through the curtains to check the weather outside and saw the moon above the house across from ours with a very bright star above it. It looked sensational. I grabbed my phone and opened the "Sky Map" App. Turns out the star was infact Venus!! Better still Sky Map also told me the 2 nearby stars were infact Mars (could see the red hue) and Jupiter with Mercury hiding below the roofline, I was so impressed. Actually took a screen shot to show my family when they woke.

I totally agree, it's a fascinating subject and to be quite honest I think a pair of Binoculars and Sky Map are all that's needed to get started.

Great Stuff

Off camping soon, hopefully dark clear skies too!!

Edited by mrcharlie

I found the problem with stargazing in England, is simply the weather...We might get a few nights in the summer that are clear, moonless and not cloudy enough to appreciate the night sky...Occasionally, we get the odd night in the winter, that's cold crisp and clear...But then you freeze your nuts off...So in my view, it's an occasional thing...Very occasional, and not worth throwing a lot of money at, in terms of telescopes etc...

I found the problem with stargazing in England, is simply the weather...We might get a few nights in the summer that are clear, moonless and not cloudy enough to appreciate the night sky...Occasionally, we get the odd night in the winter, that's cold crisp and clear...But then you freeze your nuts off...So in my view, it's an occasional thing...Very occasional, and not worth throwing a lot of money at, in terms of telescopes etc...

Maybe you need to go out more in the dark! There are plenty of nights when the stars are visible. Much much much much more than a few nights in the summer and the odd winter night.