Politics and funding

The Conservatives get masses of money from the wealthy, yet they are trying their best to destroy the unions that mostly fund the Labour party.

Nothing has been proposed by Labour, or any of the other parties The subject has hardly arose at election time.

Eric Arthur was asking if Jeremy Corbyn is a UNITE MP, why do things like that even get asked, when its the Tories that are paid the most by donors to do their dirty work?

according to the telegraph.

Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership campaign was part-funded by a man closely aligned to the terror group Hamas, the Telegraph can reveal.

The Labour leader made an inaccurate declaration to Parliamentary authorities about the payment which obscured the donor’s true identity.

Ibrahim Hamami, a vitriolic opponent of the Oslo peace accords and a supporter of the current wave of stabbings of Jews in Israel, gave £2,000 to Mr Corbyn in August, one of only three main individual donors to his campaign. Two of the three have now been exposed as supporters of terror.

---------- Post added 17-10-2015 at 20:40 ----------

Do you remember a bloke called Bernie Ecclestone?

He had a slang name for an amount of money named after him...

£25 a "pony"

£500 a "monkey"

£1000 a "grand"

£1m A "Bernie"

He did get it back mind :hihi:

do you know that bernie was a mate of roy james (great train robber). he was a jeweller and made trophies including for grand prix winners.

Funding is a tricky issue.

Multi-millionaire businessman Assem Allam fled Cairo for England 46 years ago after being arrested several times because he would not stop "talking" about military leader Gamal Abdel Nasser.

Almost half a century later, the 76-year-old Briton says he still cannot hold his tongue, this time not about an autocrat but about a "shy communist" - Britain's new opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn whose hard-left views have scared business.

From a leather armchair in his bright office just outside the city of Hull in the northeast of England, Allam said Corbyn is the reason he has stopped helping to finance Labour after giving 500,000 pounds so far this year.

"The guy lives in the past, the whole world has finished with communism," said Allam, who runs a business which produces generators and is worth 340 million pounds according to a rich list published by the Sunday Times newspaper.

"Do I back a dead horse? Would you back a dead horse?"

The Conservatives get masses of money from the wealthy, yet they are trying their best to destroy the unions that mostly fund the Labour party.

Nothing has been proposed by Labour, or any of the other parties The subject has hardly arose at election time.

Eric Arthur was asking if Jeremy Corbyn is a UNITE MP, why do things like that even get asked, when its the Tories that are paid the most by donors to do their dirty work?

People ask because they can, most things anti union play well because people connect them to strikes. Sponsoring an MP makes you look like you are in the Unions pocket i.e someone else is controlling. Unions are more high profile.

Cons tend to get money from big business and their supporters are wealthier. They are just less high profile.

The fact when either one is in power they pursue policies that favour their supporters is hardly a surprise.

I think Blair tried to distance himself from the Unions. I think its ironic that the union vote managed to get first Ed milliband elected instead of his Brother and Corbyn. Guarantees they will not win power.

People ask because they can, most things anti union play well because people connect them to strikes. Sponsoring an MP makes you look like you are in the Unions pocket i.e someone else is controlling. Unions are more high profile.

Cons tend to get money from big business and their supporters are wealthier. They are just less high profile.

The fact when either one is in power they pursue policies that favour their supporters is hardly a surprise.

I think Blair tried to distance himself from the Unions. I think its ironic that the union vote managed to get first Ed milliband elected instead of his Brother and Corbyn. Guarantees they will not win power.

How many labour mps are in the pay of the co-op bank.

Funding is a tricky issue.

That much is absolutely true.

The ideal way would be mass membership parties attracting many small donations, but that's very much easier said than done.

Of course, trade unions are one way of getting somewhere close to that. Mass membership organisations representing workers. Even if they do have many faults.