The History of Sheffield Swimming Pools - Major help needed!

• 4 months later...
Originally posted by Pauls-Stuff

I am researching the swimming pools in sheffield from 1879 to the present day for part of a project going towards my A-Level in Geography. I have been down to the local studies libary and got quite a bit of info from there but now i'm stuck and pleading for help! :(

If you can provide any of the missing info in the list of swimming pools below I would be VERY greatful! Thank-you!

Attercliffe: 1879 - 1981

Corporation Street: 1879 - 1962

Upperthorpe: 1896 - present

Glossop Road 1st: 1896 - 1991

Glossop Road Ladies: 1898 - 1991

Brightside: 1899 - 1964

Park: 1899 - 1989

Heeley: 1909 - present

Rivelin Valley: 1909 - 1939

Glossop Road Mens: 1912 - 1991

Hillsborough: 1929 - 1991

Sutherland Road: 1964 - ???

Chappel Town: 1950s/60s - present

Concord: ??? - ???

Graves: 1991 - present (1962 - present ~ rowlingson baths)

Hillsborough Leisure Center: 1991 - present

King Edwards: 1936 - present

Ponds Forge: 1991 - present

Springs: 1950s/60s - ???

Stocksbridge: 1970 - present (sports centre added in 1972)

West Field: ??? - ???

Woodthorpe: 1938 - present

Sheaf Valley: 1972 - 1991

Thanks,

-Paul-

try longly park

As a pupil of Concord Middle School [shiregreen], I had to endure weekly trips to the infamous Sutherland Road Baths around 72/73. As far as I'm aware, they remained open until the late seventies [maybe later?]. They were filthy, with disgusting little changing rooms. I remember a maniacal Attendant with the surname Scott, who would delight in hurling timid boys into the depths of the "deep end". The obscene little coward got his comeuppance when the father of one lad came down to the baths and threw Mr Scott in! Sadly, I was feigning illness that day so I didn't witness the poetic justice being meted out, but he was a laughing stock afterwards. Damn his eyes!

"I remember a maniacal Attendant with the surname Scott, who would delight in hurling timid boys into the depths of the "deep end".

I was at Ellesmere Rd school around 1960 and was taught to swim by Mr Scott at Sutherland Rd baths. I don't remember him being anything like a sadistic tyrant. He didn't stand any nonsense and had a whistle on a piece of cord round his neck. This cord was knotted and delivered a painful crack to any wrong-doers. I'm sure he didn't throw me in at the deep end.

Originally posted by Pauls-Stuff

Anyone any ideas as for the dates for Concord or Westfield baths?

Cheers,

-Paul-

Westfield was built around 1955 and as far as I am aware is still open, although it is predominantly for the school, it used to open at nights and weekends to the general public.

• 7 months later...

I went to Burngreave back in the '40s and as far as I remember we went to Sutherland Road Baths every Wednesday. Our local public baths were Corporation Street. Believe me Sutherland Road were better then. There were 'slipper' baths at Corporation Street too. It must've been the smallest pool in Sheffield.

My dad used to 'swim' at the Corporation Street baths and he told me that it was the smallest public pool in the country

I have not been down there for years but at one time you could see the site where the baths were ( tiles on the wall) and judging by the area - Texas and me dad were right - two stokes would have got you from end to end!

I learned to swim at Upperthorpe baths in the 60's - can anyone remember the name of the swimming teacher at that time? - he was a bit fierce - kids would try and get out of swimming by saying they had a cold - his answer was always the same -

"You get colds from germs lad - not water - get in!!!"

Archived