Strange lightbulbs found..

Found in my attic earlier : boxed, endorsed "Luxram Auto Bulbs", and Made in England.

Globe shape, pearl, and a small bayonet connector.

The box lid boasts "25v 25w S.C.C. Pearl, Code 530700, 38m/m"

The box design is obviously old-fashioned...

I've searched the Luxram site with no joy....but what intrigues me is what kind of vehicle had a 25v supply? And pearl bulbs?!

Any ideas?

Found in my attic earlier : boxed, endorsed "Luxram Auto Bulbs", and Made in England.

Globe shape, pearl, and a small bayonet connector.

The box lid boasts "25v 25w S.C.C. Pearl, Code 530700, 38m/m"

The box design is obviously old-fashioned...

I've searched the Luxram site with no joy....but what intrigues me is what kind of vehicle had a 25v supply? And pearl bulbs?!

Any ideas?

Interior lighting for a bus at a rough guess - they have 24V electrics and most of the ones from the 1960's to 80's had small bayonet cap bulbs in recessed holders if my schooldays are anything to go by.

Edit: This sort of thing? http://www.ebay.com/itm/BULB-PEARL-R816-24V-12W-LBC-B22d-BUS-TRUCK-BOAT-INTERIOR-LIGHTING-PK-2-/220939338758

I bow to your better knowledge, squire!

Yep - very similar, except these have brass fittings.

For a bus or boat, I notice....very strange, as neither of the last two house occupants had either!

These were tucked away in a wall recess, and apart from a layer of dust, even the boxes look as though they'd come off a production line today!

Thanks for your response - very interesting!

bus/boat/truck etc, lots of large vehicles operate 24v electrics.

Similar bulbs to those are used in portable workshop lights and service lights.

Something like this might use one of those bulbs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Industrial-Workshop-Red-Slow-Flashing-Light-Warning-Lamp-DC-24V-10W-/121750566551?hash=item1c58e63697:g:198AAOSwTapV6Snv

The older I get, the more I don't know!

Thank you!

When I worked for the GPO on the underground cables we had portable generators to light the manholes, work at night, the bulbs used were 25 volts.

You may've cracked it, James...

I found a few yellow/orange plastic storage bins in the cellar as well - at least one of 'em had GPO impressed on the side!

Looks like one of the previous residents might've been a telecomms engineer at some time.