Charity to support the needy?

Motability, is I believe a charity that support disabled users with their transport needs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motability

Would a similar charitable status organisation be able to fund people that cannot work?

Not sure what the advantages are of motability, why doesnt cash go straight to car dealers to pay for cars.

Just a random thought ;)

Fund them to do what?

Yes if it was within its charitable aims.

If you read the link you posted it explains how the scheme works. motability itself is a charity which has charitable aims and it is linked to a non profit making organisation. They account for 10% of car sales so they are large, which means a big business capable of getting better deals for their members and having the expertise to know how to run the scheme.

Those in receipt of DLA (higher mobility) can either get a car through Motability (and some cars require an upfront fee payable by the recipient). If this is the case money goes to the dealers via Motability. Recipients can also keep the benefit in cash and use this to spend on their own transport, whatever form it may be.

Fund them to do what?

Yes if it was within its charitable aims.

Instead of Government money going to those unable to work via an online form or a person on the phone, a charity would only give money to those in need. Perhaps a face to face interview and a appraisal of their needs.

Instead of Government money going to those unable to work via an online form or a person on the phone, a charity would only give money to those in need. Perhaps a face to face interview and a appraisal of their needs.

So you wnat a charity to be in charge of benefits?

I dont see the advantage from the governments point of view.

Workers pay taxes while they are working of which some goes towards unemployment benefit to be paid to those who are out of work .

The OP may as well have suggested that all taxation be abolished and replaced by charities to provide services for all the needs of the population .

The government only spends 0.7% of their budget on foreign aid which should be treated as an investment for the world's future . I don't begrudge any of my tax payments being spent on foreign aid but do begrudge the amount going to persistent UK benefit scroungers .

The government only spends 0.7% of their budget on foreign aid which should be treated as an investment for the world's future . I don't begrudge any of my tax payments being spent on foreign aid but do begrudge the amount going to persistent UK benefit scroungers .

I begrudge some foreign aid - it really isn't needed in some cases.

Back to the OP, there used to be more in the way of philanthropy before the welfare state. Not as much now.

I have no strong feelings about state foreign aid, but:

It's not 0.7% of the budget. It's 0.7% of GDP. The budget is about 40% of GDP (that's approximate) so foreign aid is about 1.75% of the budget.