Backdoor to Britain

The SBA's are not EU soil, they are British overseas territories outside the EU which don't confer citizenship or residence rights (as they are purely military bases not colonies).

seriously do you think thats going to make any difference?? after they are released on to Cypriot soil, i dont think the base is going to look after them do you?

a few years ago i was going to buy a property in Cyprus i think i made the right decision not to.

We were hoping to do the same as mine and my Wife's connections to Cyprus go way back to the 1960s when I was stationed at an SBA, we were there in September and the Cypriots were becoming a little bit uneasy at the prospects of boat people arriving then

Edited by James Stone

it is very worrying that the migrants have now started to target Cyprus as an entry point, Cyprus is part of europe and has very close links with the UK, turning up at the military base creates a dilemma as they have landed on EU soil.

i am surprised more haven't tried to enter Europe this way and even more surprised that it hasn't made more news?

a few years ago i was going to buy a property in Cyprus i think i made the right decision not to.

They havent started to target Cyprus, they were heading for Greece.

Their aim is to get to mainland Europe so they cna travel like everyone else up through the Balkans to Germany or Sweden.

Cyprus is an obvious choice, but once on the island its difficult to get off and Cyprus is not a good destination if they have family elsewhere. It might be part of Europe but if they claim asylum then its got a poor record for integrating people, the economy is poor and it will ake them years to get elsewhere.

The main routes are through Turkey overland up through the Balkans or across to the Greek Islands and then the same route.

They havent started to target Cyprus, they were heading for Greece.

Their aim is to get to mainland Europe so they cna travel like everyone else up through the Balkans to Germany or Sweden.

Cyprus is an obvious choice, but once on the island its difficult to get off and Cyprus is not a good destination if they have family elsewhere. It might be part of Europe but if they claim asylum then its got a poor record for integrating people, the economy is poor and it will ake them years to get elsewhere.

The main routes are through Turkey overland up through the Balkans or across to the Greek Islands and then the same route.

i suppose it depends on how its handled? if they let them stay and claim asylum they then i assume can move easier once they have the documents? its not difficult to leave cyprus once they have documents:roll: as you say Cypriots wont want them there so will help them to leave

i suppose it depends on how its handled? if they let them stay and claim asylum they then i assume can move easier once they have the documents? its not difficult to leave cyprus once they have documents:roll: as you say Cypriots wont want them there so will help them to leave

It can take years to have their applications approved. Once approved it doesnt entitle them to travel or bring their families, plus there are few jobs. In effect theyd end up being trapped on Cyprus or resorting to people smugglers again, but with little chance of earning the money to pay them.

The easiers route is most likely through Turkey and then up through the Balkans or via Greece especually as they know people are being accepted in Germany.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/201968/article/ekathimerini/news/why-migrants-are-going-to-great-lengths-to-avoid-cyprus

Edited by 999tigger

It can take years to have their applications approved. Once approved it doesnt entitle them to travel or bring their families, plus there are few jobs. In effect theyd end up being trapped on Cyprus or resorting to people smugglers again, but with little chance of earning the money to pay them.

The easiers route is most likely through Turkey and then up through the Balkans or via Greece especually as they know people are being accepted in Germany.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/201968/article/ekathimerini/news/why-migrants-are-going-to-great-lengths-to-avoid-cyprus

What about their Arab cousins in the extremely rich Arabian peninsular doing their share?

You are quite correct but the ordinary people of Britain didn't run away and force themselves on to other countries, the men that were left stuck it out with their families, they didn't leave their wives and children and run to Ireland.
As one who was there at the time, we didn't run away. We had no other place to run to. We wouldn't have anyway.

What about their Arab cousins in the extremely rich Arabian peninsular doing their share?

The Gulf states have taken a lot of criticism for not taking refugees. They can be singled out, but they arent signatories to the 1951 United Nations Refugee Convention, which sets out the rules on refugees.

The pooer neighbouring countries are bearing the burden, this year 2015 the numbers are just over 4million in camps and 12m displaced.

1,900,000 Turkey

1,100,000 Lebanon

629,000 Jordan

250,000 Iraq

132,000 Egypt

The UK has offered to take 4,000 asylum seekers, (mostly women and children) from the camps for 5 years.

Asylum claims granted by country 2014 (for all conflicts)

Germany 47,000

Sweden 33,000

France 20,000

Italy 20,000

Switzerland 15,000

UK 14,000

If you look at the map for 2015, then you will see the number of asylum claims per country has changed dramarically and the UK is a long way down the line. Most migrants are making claims in Sweden and Germany, followed by Hungary, France,Italy, Austria, Switzzerland Belgium and the UK

There were more than 25,000 asylum applications in the UK in the 12 months up to June 2015. Most applications are typically rejected and in 2014, more than 60% of initial decisions on asylum applications were refusals.

In the same period, 6,788 asylum seekers and their dependents were removed or departed voluntarily from the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34131911

http://ec.europa.eu/echo/files/aid/countries/factsheets/syria_en.pdf

Considering its size the UK has a low number of applications per 100,000 pop ar 23.

Its 190 for germany and 665 for Hungary.

The Gulf states have taken a lot of criticism for not taking refugees. They can be singled out, but they arent signatories to the 1951 United Nations Refugee Convention, which sets out the rules on refugees.

The pooer neighbouring countries are bearing the burden, this year 2015 the numbers are just over 4million in camps and 12m displaced.

1,900,000 Turkey

1,100,000 Lebanon

629,000 Jordan

250,000 Iraq

132,000 Egypt

The UK has offered to take 4,000 asylum seekers, (mostly women and children) from the camps for 5 years.

Asylum claims granted by country 2014 (for all conflicts)

Germany 47,000

Sweden 33,000

France 20,000

Italy 20,000

Switzerland 15,000

UK 14,000

If you look at the map for 2015, then you will see the number of asylum claims per country has changed dramarically and the UK is a long way down the line. Most migrants are making claims in Sweden and Germany, followed by Hungary, France,Italy, Austria, Switzzerland Belgium and the UK

There were more than 25,000 asylum applications in the UK in the 12 months up to June 2015. Most applications are typically rejected and in 2014, more than 60% of initial decisions on asylum applications were refusals.

In the same period, 6,788 asylum seekers and their dependents were removed or departed voluntarily from the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34131911

http://ec.europa.eu/echo/files/aid/countries/factsheets/syria_en.pdf

Considering its size the UK has a low number of applications per 100,000 pop ar 23.

Its 190 for germany and 665 for Hungary.

You are, perhaps deliberately, stating that the UK admitted 30,000 asylum seekers through the normal process further down the list to make the UK appear to be taking less than others. Also, the UK has contributed £1Billion in aid to the region.

As Syria is located closer to the countries you mention - why do you think it is that they have the most 'Syrians' residing there? Also, how do you know they are all Syrian?

Edited by RickyM

You are, perhaps deliberately, stating that the UK admitted 30,000 asylum seekers through the normal process further down the list to make the UK appear to be taking less than others. Also, the UK has contributed £1Billion in aid to the region.

As Syria is located closer to the countries you mention - why do you think it is that they have the most 'Syrians' residing there? Also, how do you know they are all Syrian?

err no.

The number of asylum seekers I quoted was 25,000 of which over 60% are rejected , which leaves 14,000 admitted. The figures I posted were just to put it into perspective. You might not like immigrants, but the UK is having to deal with far fewer than other countries considering its size and wealth.

Lebanon has 44 times as many refugees in camps fleeing the conflict and is much poorer and smaller.

Refugess are equivalent to 23% of its population.

Compared to refugees in the UK being 0.24%.

The UK has done good work on contributing money.

If you bother to look at the links it identifies the origins of people applying for asylum. The point was to give you an indication just how many migrants other people are coping with from this crisis.