Sweden: Doubling the number of refugees as centres burn

Definition of Islamophobia in English:

noun

[mass noun]

Dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force.

Interesting. I thought a 'phobia' was a fear. Presumably someone with arachnophobia is not considered to be prejudiced against spiders?

Based on the definition you've given, does that mean someone that has a dislike of an Islamic political force, for example Sharia Law, is Islamophobic? Is someone who dislikes the current government Toryphobic?

Personally I think it's a silly term that conflates different issues into one catch-all, dismissive slogan. It's too harsh to use on people with legitimate concerns about political Islam, and too soft to use on people who discriminate against Muslims for no other reason than their religion.

Edited by WiseOwl182

Interesting. I thought a 'phobia' was a fear. Presumably someone with arachnophobia is not considered to be prejudiced against spiders?

Based on the definition you've given, does that mean someone that has a dislike of an Islamic political force, for example Sharia Law, is Islamophobic? Is someone who dislikes the current government Toryphobic?

Personally I think it's a silly term that conflates different issues into one catch-all, dismissive slogan. It's too harsh to use on people with legitimate concerns about political Islam, and too soft to use on people who discriminate against Muslims for no other reason than their religion.

It is indeed and illiterate and silly catchphrase. A soundbite really to stop discussion. A bit like "Homophobia" - fear of the same. A literal translation.

I mean it wasnt mentioned in your link.

Does that mean the population of the UK will be over 150m people or it will be the majority of 78m?

No it would be 95,000,000, UK population growth was 7% between 2001 and 2011, but Muslim population growth was 75% over the same period, so if growth patterns remain the same 82% of the population will be Muslims.

---------- Post added 22-10-2015 at 22:41 ----------

Cite the original source. You cherry picking bits to support your viewpoint (or quoting someone who has already done that cherry picking) doesn't help as we can pick holes in what you're saying unless you can back them up with where the figures come from and how they are arrived at.

For instance, on what evidence do you base the assumption that the current trends for immigration and birth rates will continue for 60 years?

I haven't cherry picked anything, I have just used the growth figures from 2001 to 2011 and used those figures to calculator the population in 60 years.

I said if growth patterns remain the same, not they will remain the same.

No it would be 95,000,000, UK population growth was 7% between 2001 and 2011, but Muslim population growth was 75% over the same period, so if growth patterns remain the same 82% of the population will be Muslims.

So show me in figures what you mean and where you got the 78m from i.e link it so I can see.

If you did the calculation yurself please show us.

Do you think these are good projections and its reliable?

Edited by 999tigger

So show me in figures what you mean and where you got the 78m from i.e link it so I can see.

If you did the calculation yurself please show us.

Do you think these are good projections and its reliable?

The link to the study which was prepared for the Muslim Council of Britain is in post 13. The calculation is very easy maths, no they are not reliable because they assume growth will remain the same and in realty it could grow faster or slower.

It is indeed and illiterate and silly catchphrase. A soundbite really to stop discussion. A bit like "Homophobia" - fear of the same. A literal translation.

I prefer the term Muslim hater myself as you well know Ron. :)