Sheffield gunman jailed for 19 years

Maybe we all look back with rose tinted glasses, but I seem to remember that as a kid, the only gun crime I saw or heard about was in Westerns and Gangster films........

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/gunman-jailed-after-man-shot-in-both-legs-following-argument-at-sheffield-takeaway-1-7530430

"....A gunman who shot a man in both legs after an argument outside a Sheffield takeaway has been jailed for 19 years.

Omar Ahmed, aged 25, of Nesfield Way, Firth Park, Sheffield, was found guilty by a jury after a trial at Sheffield Crown Court.

Extensive enquiries were carried out in April 2013 but no suspect was ever identified.

Ahmed was later arrested in October 2014 by chance after going through a red light on Burngreave Road a year later.

Ahmed pulled over on Barnsley Road but sped off when the officers got out of their car. The vehicle was followed to a dead end on Osgathorpe Road where Ahmed fled and was later apprehended.

Information was received that Ahmed had thrown a bag into a garden while being pursued by officers.

The bag was retrieved and found to contain a semi-automatic handgun. Tests on the handgun linked it to the incident in April 2013.

Ahmed was positively identified and arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

The original charges date back to April 11, 2013 when a 37-year-old man was shot in the doorway of a friend’s home following an argument outside a Wicker takeaway.

Ahmed was found guilty of Section 18 wounding, possession of a firearm and possession of ammunition.

He was jailed for 14 years for the wounding charge and five years for the possession of the firearm to run consecutively. He received a further two years for possession of ammunition to run concurrently.

Ahmed was found not guilty of attempted murder...."

Maybe we all look back with rose tinted glasses, but I seem to remember that as a kid, the only gun crime I saw or heard about was in Westerns and Gangster films........
Because the media (in its various forms) glorifies violence and aggression, and convinces insecure young men they have to be super-masculine thugs to have an identity and stand out from the crowd.

Not that I'm absolving individuals of blame at all, just explaining my opinion on the cultural phenomenon.

Because the media (in its various forms) glorifies violence and aggression, and convinces insecure young men they have to be super-masculine thugs to have an identity and stand out from the crowd.

Not that I'm absolving individuals of blame at all, just explaining my opinion on the cultural phenomenon.

But there used to be a lot more fights in pubs and things then.

Them Krays were proper gangsters, harsh but fair and they LOVED their Movver.

I actually think it is better reported now and so seems worse.

I don't think the media glamorises violence, holywood certainly does but not the news media.

I think these sort of crimes stem from the economics as the drug trade. You have lots of, in some cases very, young lads selling heroin and crack and having relatively large amounts of cash/drugs on them. Most of them are not physically powerful people so they carry a knife, then someone with a knife get robbed by someone with a gun so they all start to carry guns. They get in an argument about something petty and suddenly guns come out and people die over who was first in the taxi queue or whatever.

Its much less crazy here than london still where kids are regularly getting stabbed and shot over walking on the 'wrong' side of a street.

But there used to be a lot more fights in pubs and things then.

Them Krays were proper gangsters, harsh but fair and they LOVED their Movver.

I actually think it is better reported now and so seems worse.

ooh look Ron posted something I agree with.

Its likely bad and violent things were happening, just the speed of reporting is faster with social media and the internet. Also easier to detect.