Is the northern powerhouse real?

I was reading an article about research done by a team at Sheffield Hallam University who found that the real unemployment rate is far higher than the headline figure that the Government and media report. It is from 2012, but interesting nonetheless:

http://www.shu.ac.uk/mediacentre/real-level-unemployment-almost-35million-new-report

Has that not always been the case for at least the last 25 years?

Apparently Sheffield has been named as the second 'Northern Powerhouse'

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/oct/01/sheffield-area-expected-become-second-northern-powerhouse

Though from I'm sitting it looks a lot like a Northern Poorhouse :(

Shefield City "region"? Haven't we already got the county of South Yorkshire?

It all looks very wishy-washy and vague.

Edited by Stoatwobbler

Very negative response and mostly nonsense.

1, you are correct we have a large population.

2, Yes they are.

3, Absolute fiction, there is no such thing as "workfare" its an Americanization and describes nothing relevant in the UK.

4, People are sanctioned when they refuse to work or are obstructive.

5,The "real world" provides many opportunities for those who want to go for it. Whingers and passengers will always complain and be a drag on thiose who want to work hard and get on.

---------- Post added 26-10-2015 at 10:04 ----------

There are about 200,000 people on 0 hours contracts out of a workforce of 32 million. Of those 40% are students. 20% prefer to be on 0 hours contracts (like me).

This leaves a very small number of people who are on such contracts and do not want to be.

Jeez.... You still believe this after all this time don't you....

• 3 months later...

I am afraid the Northern Poorhouse is becoming poorer still. 83% of the £300m being made available to local authorities to ease the cuts will be going to Conservative run councils, in the South, of course. Surrey will get the most, then Hampshire, then Hertfordshire etc. The five most deprived councils (in the North) will receive nothing, even though they have suffered an average cut of £336 per person since 2010, compared to £7 per person in the least deprived areas. I am afraid there will be many broken lavatory seats left unrepaired in the Northern Outhouse. http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/feb/09/cameron-buying-off-tory-mps-theatening-to-rebel-over-council-cuts

There's an axis of prosperity between Manchester and Leeds. It's there despite what Osborne does.

But let a complete buffoon taken out of his natural south east habitat and stuck in Cheshire for chunks of his time, fantasise about about getting a little bit of London-style nonsense transplanted into the north.