Verb, noun, adjective, consonants vowel's etc

I feel like I have bluffed my way through my life / career so far on my English and grammar. Anyone else in the same boat and struggle to understand what are proper understandings or examples of verbs, nouns, preposition, adjectives, consonants and vowels etc?

Edited by muddywolf

I feel like I have bluffed my way through my life / career so far on my English and grammar. Anyone else in the same boat and struggle to understand what are proper understandings or examples of verbs, nouns, preposition, adjectives, consonants and vowels etc?

Does it matter if you are using them?

Verbs: feel, have bluffed, struggle, understand,

Nouns: life, English (proper), grammar, boat, understandings (?), examples, verbs, nouns, preposition, adjectives, consonants, vowels

Preposition: through, on, in

Adjectives: bare, empty, redundant

Consonants: C, n, s, t

Vowels: o, e

It's not surprising as this sort of stuff wasn't taught in schools for a whole generation. Thankfully it's now back in vogue, but not to the same extent it was in the 50s. I think we've now reached a happy medium.

---------- Post added 25-10-2015 at 12:29 ----------

Take a look at this.

Loved this! And it's good to remember language is a living thing that grows and changes. Stephen Fry makes some excellent points.

Is that why you used a "greengrocers's apostrophe" at the end of "vowels"?

(and missed the full stop in "etc."?)

And no. To answer the question seriously, if that's a general example of your copy, there's nothing to be ashamed of there.

(it's when you're called upon to distinguish between transitive and intransitive verbs and identifying "noun clause objects" [whatever one of those is]) you need to start to fret.

It's not surprising as this sort of stuff wasn't taught in schools for a whole generation. Thankfully it's now back in vogue, but not to the same extent it was in the 50s. I think we've now reached a happy medium.

---------- Post added 25-10-2015 at 12:29 ----------

Loved this! And it's good to remember language is a living thing that grows and changes. Stephen Fry makes some excellent points.

I was part of that unlucky generation educated in the 1970s / 1980s that wasn't taught grammar. No idea why it wasn't taught along with punctuation and spelling.

I was part of that unlucky generation educated in the 1970s / 1980s that wasn't taught grammar. No idea why it wasn't taught along with punctuation and spelling.

I was at senior school in the 70s.

I learnt more about English grammar from French lessons than I did from English ones.

Personally, I think it went too far in the 50s and 60s when I spent hours differentiating parts of speech in English.

As with many things in education, the baby got thrown out with the bathwater, and it swung too far in the opposite direction. There followed a whole generation of young teachers who didn't know it either, so couldn't teach it well.

Now, I believe these problems have been addressed and it's back on the curriculum, albeit in a modified and more useful form.

Edited by Anna B