Verb, noun, adjective, consonants vowel's etc

I was educated in the late fifties and early sixties. We were made to 'parse' sentences. The teacher wold write, say, 'The cat sat on the mat' on the blackboard. We'd copy it and then draw vertical lines on the paper and write, in columns 'The' - definite article; cat - subject of the sentence, male female, ; sat - third person singular, imperfect tense, verb to sit and if you were a real smart @r$e 'strong verb' (the vowel changes sit/sat ) and so on

Apostrophes were easy - after you'd been harangued a few times in front of the whole class for incorrect use by the Form Mistress- I, certainly, got the message.

I was educated in the late fifties and early sixties. We were made to 'parse' sentences. The teacher wold write, say, 'The cat sat on the mat' on the blackboard. We'd copy it and then draw vertical lines on the paper and write, in columns 'The' - definite article; cat - subject of the sentence, male female, ; sat - third person singular, imperfect tense, verb to sit and if you were a real smart @r$e 'strong verb' (the vowel changes sit/sat ) and so on

Apostrophes were easy - after you'd been harangued a few times in front of the whole class for incorrect use by the Form Mistress- I, certainly, got the message.

:huh:

It looks like there was a surplus of commas in the late fifties and early sixties... ;)

God, that brings back memories... and I absolutely hated it! I could never see the point of it, and we seemed to do it endlessly when we could have been doing creative writing.

And unlike you, I've also forgotten most if it except for the essentials. I do think knowing the essentials is a good idea though.

I was educated in the 80s and 90s so was taught basically no grammar but I learned a certain amount from my parents. Apparently it stands out so much from my peers, even in a university, that my colleagues often ask me to proof read their grants and manuscripts.

Anyone who struggles with this, and who wants or needs to know more, I suggest they get a basic book on English Grammar, even a child's school primer, and read it. It's not really all that hard.

And read books. Read lots and lots. There's nothing better for picking up the rules of grammar than seeing it used in situ.

And take heart that lots of professional people sometimes make mistakes too.

---------- Post added 26-10-2015 at 00:32 ----------

Just seen a grammar test in the DM aimed at 10 year olds.

Question 4: Underline the verb form that is in the present perfect in the following passage:

"Rachel loves music and has wanted to learn how to play the piano for years. She was hoping for piano lessons, and was delighted when her parents gave her a keyboard for her birthday."

If this is aimed at 10 year olds, god help them. Is it necessary, and do you think there's any point to it?

Can you do it? Let us know how you get on.

Bye the way, I got it wrong and I'm a teacher. (But I did get the other four questions right...)

If you're interested, the other questions were:

1) Complete the following sentence with an adjective formed from the verb create'

'The artist was very ____ and produced many original works.

2) Rewrite the following sentence so that it is written in the passive voice: 'The pouring rain drenched us.'

3) Complete the following sentence so that it uses the subjunctive form:

"If I ___ to have one wish, it would be for good health."

5) Circle the adverb in the following sentence: '"Soon," he thought, "I'll be able to see my family."'

Answers: 1) 'creative' 2) 'We were drenched by the pouring rain' 3) 'were'

4) 'has wanted' 5) 'soon'

Edited by Anna B

I was at senior school in the 70s.

I learnt more about English grammar from French lessons than I did from English ones.

Moi aussi!

Everything I know about grammar comes from my Modern/Ancient Language studies. I went up to grammar school in 1965 and couldn't comment when it was and wasn't taught.

Edited by DT Ralge

Anyone who struggles with this, and who wants or needs to know more, I suggest they get a basic book on English Grammar, even a child's school primer, and read it. It's not really all that hard.

And read books. Read lots and lots. There's nothing better for picking up the rules of grammar than seeing it used in situ.

Question 4: Underline the verb form that is in the present perfect in the following passage:

"Rachel loves music and has wanted to learn how to play the piano for years. She was hoping for piano lessons, and was delighted when her parents gave her a keyboard for her birthday."

If this is aimed at 10 year olds, god help them. Is it necessary, and do you think there's any point to it?

Bye the way, I got it wrong and I'm a teacher. (But I did get the other four questions right...)

1) Complete the following sentence with an adjective formed from the verb create'

2) Rewrite the following sentence so that it is written in the passive voice: 'The pouring rain drenched us.'

5) Circle the adverb in the following sentence: '"Soon," he thought, "I'll be able to see my family."'

I got those four right too. Probably because I'm a product of 1950s/60s education. However I'm not sure about the Rachel question. Is the answer 'loves'?

I completely agree with you about reading helping with grammar. The professional person making mistakes resonates too - just watch The Apprentice and hear Sir Alan Sugar asking contestants 'was you'?

Is this a "spot the error" post?

8/10. Must try harder.

Edited by RonJeremy