Verb, noun, adjective, consonants vowel's etc

Is this a "spot the error" post?

8/10. Must try harder.

Like I said, everyone makes mistakes..... How many did you get Ron?

---------- Post added 26-10-2015 at 12:48 ----------

I got those four right too. Probably because I'm a product of 1950s/60s education. However I'm not sure about the Rachel question. Is the answer 'loves'?

I completely agree with you about reading helping with grammar. The professional person making mistakes resonates too - just watch The Apprentice and hear Sir Alan Sugar asking contestants 'was you'?

That's what I thought too.

The right answer, according to DM, is 'has wanted'

I don't like Alan Sugar so couldn't possibly comment. I also think it's important to know when perfect grammar is necessary (CVs, job applications etc.) and when it's not, (some family letters, quick notes, etc.) Same with speech. That's what I always taught my kids anyway.

Edited by Anna B

Like I said, everyone makes mistakes..... How many did you get Ron?

---------- Post added 26-10-2015 at 12:48 ----------

That's what I thought too.

The right answer, according to DM, is 'has wanted'

I don't like Alan Sugar so couldn't possibly comment. I also think it's important to know when perfect grammar is necessary (CVs, job applications etc.) and when it's not, (some family letters, quick notes, etc.) Same with speech. That's what I always taught my kids anyway.

Fewer than I thought I would have.

Only 2. Very embarrassing.

I was at senior school in the 70s.

I learnt more about English grammar from French lessons than I did from English ones.

And even more had you been permitted to learn Latin!

---------- Post added 27-10-2015 at 17:19 ----------

One comma too many! (It's after "not".)

And even more had you been permitted to learn Latin!

---------- Post added 27-10-2015 at 17:19 ----------

One comma too many! (It's after "not".)

Thankyou for pointing that out Jeffrey.

But were you able to understand what I wrote? To me the main point of grammar, punctuation, spelling etc. is to make meaning clear. I think that's what should be emphasized in school. Being able to parse sentences, name all the parts of speech and so on has very limited value, although knowing the basics; noun, verb, adjective, adverbs, conjunctions etc. is quite useful.

What do you think?

I agree with the suggestion to buy a primary grammar guide - when a 5 year old is quizzing you about adjectives, pronouns and verbs it helps to have something to check!

Did you know that a 'sentence' and a 'phrase' are different and have specific rules - and probably not what you thought they were!