Black Friday November 27th.

'Black Friday' falls into the same category as Hallowe'en: an unnecessary introduction from the USA- we can do without either, thanks.

Halloween is not an "introduction from the USA";

"The word Halloween or Hallowe'en dates to about 1745 and is of Christian origin. The word "Halloween" means "hallowed evening" or "holy evening". It comes from a Scottish term for All Hallows' Eve (the evening before All Hallows' Day). In Scots, the word "eve" is even, and this is contracted to e'en or een. Over time, (All) Hallow(s) E(v)en evolved into Halloween. Although the phrase "All Hallows'" is found in Old English (ealra hālgena mæssedæg, all saints mass-day), "All Hallows' Eve" is itself not seen until 1556."

"In Britain and Ireland, the tradition of going house-to-house collecting food at Halloween goes back at least as far as the 16th century, as had the tradition of people wearing costumes at Halloween."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

Halloween is not an "introduction from the USA";

"The word Halloween or Hallowe'en dates to about 1745 and is of Christian origin. The word "Halloween" means "hallowed evening" or "holy evening". It comes from a Scottish term for All Hallows' Eve (the evening before All Hallows' Day). In Scots, the word "eve" is even, and this is contracted to e'en or een. Over time, (All) Hallow(s) E(v)en evolved into Halloween. Although the phrase "All Hallows'" is found in Old English (ealra hālgena mæssedæg, all saints mass-day), "All Hallows' Eve" is itself not seen until 1556."

"In Britain and Ireland, the tradition of going house-to-house collecting food at Halloween goes back at least as far as the 16th century, as had the tradition of people wearing costumes at Halloween."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

The large scale "celebrations" we have for Halloween these days are definitely an American import...

I remember the scenes of scrapping on TV last year....Then the people who thought they grabbed themselves a bargain tried to sell their rubbish on Ebay - only for no one else to be interested

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11266978/Black-Friday-shoppers-struggle-to-sell-TVs-on-eBay.html

Ha ha.

Others bargain hunters were seen brawling over the 50 inch Blaupunkt HD TV in Tesco stores, where they were reduced by £100 from £399 to £249.

:huh:

Have I not drank enough coffee yet today?

I see Asda has pulled out of this year's Black Friday, blaming 'shopper fatigue'.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/asda-pulls-out-of-black-friday-over-shopper-fatigue/ar-CCbyKi?li=AAaeUIW&ocid=iehp

I don't earn a great deal, but I'd never ever resort to scratting & scrapping over some crappy TV. It's shocking the depths that a few people have plummeted :shakes:

Like scene out of 'Day of the Dead'

• 3 weeks later...

So today is the day, dust off and polish up your baseball bats, electric shock sticks and put bricks in your handbags.... Who's going shopping!? :hihi:

I was thinking of going to Meadowhall tonight after work and planned this before realising it was Black Friday today. Think I might avoid now unless it is quieter than expected.

Anyone been camping there overnight last night who can tell me what the queues are like at the moment? :P

So today is the day, dust off and polish up your baseball bats, electric shock sticks and put bricks in your handbags.... Who's going shopping!? :hihi:

I was thinking of going to Meadowhall tonight after work and planned this before realising it was Black Friday today. Think I might avoid now unless it is quieter than expected.

Anyone been camping there overnight last night who can tell me what the queues are like at the moment? :P

I popped in about an hour ago. No queues. It was pretty empty.