Electric meter wrong?

We moved into a newly converted flat last year as the first tennants, so had a brand new account with a brand new smart meter (we only have an electricity supply). For the 3, 6 and 9 month bills we found we were charged a fairly low amount (around £44 iirc), therefore we continued to use stuff as normal (water heater, electric room heaters, towel heater etc).

Unfortunately we then received our 4th bill to find it £500 more than expected. It turned out our first THREE bills were estimates! Why the hell we were even receiving estimated bills with us having a real time smart meter I don't know, but in the end we're having to back pay hundreds of pounds.

This may be different to your case, but I would say double check your readings and get the company to confirm how much you should be paying.

It would have told you on the bill that the readings were estimates wouldn't it?

It would have told you on the bill that the readings were estimates wouldn't it?

People often opt for the cheapest tariff, this option is often online and the customer is meant to submit their own readings, I often dont bother. I am trying to amend my lazy ways ;)

People often opt for the cheapest tariff, this option is often online and the customer is meant to submit their own readings, I often dont bother. I am trying to amend my lazy ways ;)

I appreciate that,my gas and leccy are done online but I can download the bill and it shows if the readings were sent by me,by a meter reader or if they were estimated..

I recently had a note to say we've been to read your meter and you were not in, said they would call back or I would get an estimated bill etc. I left my card with actual readings in the window but when the man came back he knocked on the door saying"meter reading", I gave him the card and he entered the figures, gas and electric whilst stood in front of me then went, later in the week when I received my bill it said, gas, we read your meter on whatever date, electric, we estimated your reading on whatever date!, what's the point taking details if they don't enter them correctly?

I got a gas/electric bill earlier this year and it said one was true reading the other an estimate, how can that be when the meter reader took both readings and put them in the handset?

I got a gas/electric bill earlier this year and it said one was true reading the other an estimate, how can that be when the meter reader took both readings and put them in the handset?

Did you ring and ask why this was so, I didn't as you think it will even itself out, but then they BG are laughing for 3 months

Did you ring and ask why this was so, I didn't as you think it will even itself out, but then they BG are laughing for 3 months

No as it wasn't out of line with my usage, mind you I did get £73 from SP credited to my account because of bad service.