Has "would of" become acceptable now?

Is it acceptable to use "of" instead of "have" ?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable to use "of" instead of "have" ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

Yes, I agree. Another similar example is "preformance" rather than "performance".

"pacifically" instead of "specifically"

"generally" instead of "genuinely" (& vice versa)

Also, saying "actually" and "literally" in every other sentence :roll:

It's one of my pet hates. The correct abbreviated form "would've" should not be used as an excuse because that is pronounced "wudderv" not "wuddov" and too many people display there complete ignorance of grammar by spelling it out as though "to of" is a verb. Unfortunately bad grammar is a self-deprecating badge of honour in this country, much like being bad at maths.

Oh dear. Muphry's law strikes again. ;)

I suppose it is the same as missing a g and an r off the end of a word or a t out of the middle, as in compua instead of computer. I first noticed Eamonn Holmes missing Gs off the end of words. Alex Jones on the one show is good at it. One that amuses me if comftable instead of comfortable. It presume they would pronounce comfort as comft.

To be honest I'm more interested in what I could put in Alex Jones mouth than what comes out but the missing Ts annoys me more than would of. Michael Vaughan is big culprit with his "twenny twenny" cricket although that bloke from capital breakfast is worse. Freddie flintoff seems to have binned the concept of consonants altogether.

I've certainly noticed it before, when spoken. Some people fully pronounce the "of" rather than just "would'f"

To be honest, I just gone through how I would of :hihi: would've pronounced it and maybe I pronounce "'ve" and 'of' similar. The thing that gets my goat is when people say - that'll learn yer.