Has "would of" become acceptable now?

Is it acceptable to use "of" instead of "have" ?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Is it acceptable to use "of" instead of "have" ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

Indeed it is and, in my opinion, that's completely unacceptable. Yes, it does matter and no, it isn't sufficient for you to come up with the argument: "Well you knew what I meant". Yes, I know what you mean but that doesn't give you the excuse to be shabby and lazy. Look it up FFS: it's what I do when I'm in doubt.

I'm now off to delete unnecessary apostrophes everywhere I come across them and to add them (where required) too.

S (grammar pedant and no wish to change) xxxx

---------- Post added 26-10-2015 at 17:38 ----------

So do I :P

Good for you.

I was once involved in a minor row about the subject, and it eventually ran down to the level of me being called a 'pedant'.

My response was 'Better a pedant than illiterate...'

His reply?

'Are you saying I don't know who my dad is?'!

Good for you.

I was once involved in a minor row about the subject, and it eventually ran down to the level of me being called a 'pedant'.

My response was 'Better a pedant than illiterate...'

His reply?

'Are you saying I don't know who my dad is?'!

Nice one .

"These ones" annoys me as well!

Not forgetting "For free"!

The dropping of the 't' in various words - I think 'compooah' was given earlier as an example - just makes the speaker sound dense, whether they are or not.

The case that has always intrigued me is getting 'was' and 'were' the wrong way round!

If that was just laziness, wouldn't only one of them be used?!

"These ones" annoys me as well!

Not forgetting "For free"!

The dropping of the 't' in various words - I think 'compooah' was given earlier as an example - just makes the speaker sound dense, whether they are or not.

The case that has always intrigued me is getting 'was' and 'were' the wrong way round!

If that was just laziness, wouldn't only one of them be used?!

I'm guilty of dropping the "T"

What bothers me more is when people attempt Yorkshire accents/dialect but add an additional "T" where none are needed.

The dictionary increases in size all the time. Unfortunately, some of the new definitions come about from those who just can't be bothered to learn the language in the first place innit.

Text speak's another one of my pet hates … just plain lazy, especially due to the fact that most phones of any technological merit (as used by gangstas) have perfectly good predictive capabilities in the first place. :roll:

Text speak isn't because people can't spell, SMS are limited to 120 characters - so people shortened words and made up acronyms etc to be able to say more per message....

As per title, has the misuse of "of" in place of "have" become acceptable now?

Example "he would of done it if he could" instead of "he would have done it if he could"

It's one of my pet annoyances, I normally overlook it but within the last few months I've noticed it being used by supposed journalists in newspapers and online. Some people are of the opinion that through common usage a word can develop a new or alternative meaning, acceptably. Is this what's happening with "of" ?

:rant:

Please tell me which newspapers and I will go round to their offices and poke them hard in the eye