Why are people obsessed over what other people think of them?

Well, at least that's the impression I have; that is, generally we are over concerned with the opinions that other people hold of us.

That said, they do say we're social animals; so I'm wondering, is it a good or a bad thing, for a person to be concerned with how they appear to others? Or maybe you think it can be both good and bad?

I tend to think, we're happier if we're more self-obsessed (in a good way); and do the things we enjoy and and enjoy those things for their own sake; rather than being anxious about how we think we are perceived in the eyes of others.

So, yeah, generally speaking, are we too concerned with how we appear to other people? For example, a man buying a sports car; does he buy it to enjoy it for it's own sake; or because of how he thinks it makes him look in the eyes of other people?

Well, at least that's the impression I have; that is, generally we are over concerned with the opinions that other people hold of us.

That said, they do say we're social animals; so I'm wondering, is it a good or a bad thing, for a person to be concerned with how they appear to others? Or maybe you think it can be both good and bad?

I tend to think, we're happier if we're more self-obsessed (in a good way); and do the things we enjoy and and enjoy those things for their own sake; rather than being anxious about how we think we are perceived in the eyes of others.

So, yeah, generally speaking, are we too concerned with how we appear to other people? For example, a man buying a sports car; does he buy it to enjoy it for it's own sake; or because of how he thinks it makes him look in the eyes of other people?

Agree. People are way too concerned about what others think of them. What car they drive, what clothes they wear, latest phone, what they look like, their house.

I wouldnt say good or bad. But it must be exhausting trying to be someone you are not and always keeping up with other peoples expectations im sure.

What I learnt is people are on the whole too self obsessed anyway to care what you are doing, and the people that do care, are not worth knowing anyway, so do what makes you happy or amused. Its a short life.

Impossible to answer that question unless you're talking about a specific man that we know well.

I think it's a good thing to some extent that we care about the opinions of others, otherwise we could act like a jerk and we wouldn't care about how that impacted others.

But it can be taken too far.

There's a balance to be struck between caring about how others perceive you (and the way this moderates your behaviour) and about not caring too much.

---------- Post added 26-10-2015 at 14:57 ----------

Of course. But remaining true to yourself and not caring what others think helps authenticate that view.

Unless that means a lonely life of being a jerk. Lonely because nobody wants to be friends with a jerk of course.