IDS to put job advisors in food banks

The cause of this mans death was him being considered not fit for work for god knows how many years, then being suddenly considered fit for work. Too many people got signed off on the sick when the mines and factories shut, the vast majority of these people were perfectly capable of retraining for other work but it was considered politically expedient by both major partys to keep them on benefits. This man (and others like him) is a victim of the system.

Re what's in bold - What we know is what the Coroner wrote (see post 91).

On your general point there is a lot of evidence to suggest that, in many cases you're right; that when Britain deindustrialised, and unemployment topped 3 million many were 'written off', and no doubt, their disappearance from the unemployment count was a bonus for ministers.

You're correct about Michael O'Sullivan being a victim of the system - the DWP who didn't take into account his poor mental health when making their assessment, and their disregard for the professional opinion of his consultants and doctors cost Michael his life.

Edited by Mister M

Anyone can look at the short report and make their own minds up whether Erics interpretation is correct and why he would rather call other people dim and ignorant rather than answering the questions asked of him. Its quite clear what the Coroner was indicating as weaknesses in the DWP system and not just his medical care.

Absolutely. The short report is crystal clear.

If you are so depressed and anxious at being signed off sick is this not a clear case of workshyness?

---------- Post added 02-11-2015 at 13:45 ----------

Point is that people need to be continuously reminded about how to make the right choices.

By who? Your comment marks the line between the lefty, controlling, elitism that has marred our country for the last 100 years.

No doubt you Corbynistas think it your responsibility to tell people what they should eat, where they should live, eventually no doubt you would wish to dictate what they read, listen to, marry etc.

If you are so depressed and anxious at being signed off sick is this not a clear case of workshyness?

By who? Your comment marks the line between the lefty, controlling, elitism that has marred our country for the last 100 years.

No doubt you Corbynistas think it your responsibility to tell people what they should eat, where they should live, eventually no doubt you would wish to dictate what they read, listen to, marry etc.

In my observations, being signed off sick or unemployed is the cause of anxiety and depression. After being on benefits for some time (I think a year is quite enough) being suddenly declared 'fit' for work is also further cause of depression and anxiety, on top of the original diagnosis.

During that year you may have applied for many jobs and been turned down; that rejection can have seriously damaging effects to one's self esteem and confidence. Poor diet, lack of heating, lack of facilities, lack of social companionship and interaction will also have had a detrimental effect on health and wellbeing. You are out of the loop, almost in an alternative dimension. Being unemployed is without doubt very damaging to people.

Yes, with careful help and encouragement these people can be helped back into employment, but it's not that easy. The help is expensive, difficult and simply not available nine times out of ten. Some people on here more than demonstrate the total lack of understanding towards the long term unemployed. and the mentally ill.

The 'crash bang wallop' approach metered out to vulnerable, mentally delicate people, is terrifyingly bad. I'm not surprised some commit suicide.

Its all about an ongoing programme of educating people. You don't just tell people once that they should consider the risks of smoking or too much alcohol etc...

You remind them all the time. Educating people is a cost-effective way of preventing illness.

You don't have to be a leftie to understand that.

I don't support Labour.

Do you think he'd have long term depression and agoraphobia if he hadn't been allowed to vegetate on benefits for decades? In countries where there is no welfare state, or where welfare is based on contributions, how many 60 year olds suffer from long term depression and agoraphobia?

He worked most of his life.

I am sure government was talking about giving the long term unemployed vouchers only to be spent on food, instead of job seekers allowance cash payments. They say the reason for the food voucher system is to make sure they do not spend their money on cigs and alcohol.

I am wonder if this has anything to do with the introduction of the voucher system.

I am sure government was talking about giving the long term unemployed vouchers only to be spent on food, instead of job seekers allowance cash payments. They say the reason for the food voucher system is to make sure they do not spend their money on cigs and alcohol.

I am wonder if this has anything to do with the introduction of the voucher system.

They were talking about 3 years ago giving vouchers for the social fund, which was going to be locally administered....But not heard anything since regarding this.

so hows that going to work i.e paying for internet or a mobile phone and what about travel costs?

Could there be any real answer to the benefits culture. So many of us started with nowt, had a family and work to live. Not in a paupers sense, but not really much spare after all bills are paid. It would be great to have a few extra quid to do whatever with, and I'm sure im not alone in this lifestyle of getting paid, paying the bills and carrying on working, in the hope life will get easier.

But what prompts people to not work? Could it be that even the worst paid jobs are a similar income to benefits? Probably, and could that be the answer, harsh as it seems. Whilever benefits provide a financial equal to a job, the claimers will keep on claiming, and why wouldn't they. Until benefits are made as unattractive as possible, the game will carry on. You cant blame them really.