IDS to put job advisors in food banks

I think it would be convenient to be able to see "job advisors" in a place one was already visiting and therefore avoid extra travelling and expense.

What I do not understand is why we cannot return to the old Labour Excahange system where you were given a card with job details on it and so had no need of a computer or mobile phone.

Because nearly all job applications have to be done online!!!

I think it would be convenient to be able to see "job advisors" in a place one was already visiting and therefore avoid extra travelling and expense.

What I do not understand is why we cannot return to the old Labour Excahange system where you were given a card with job details on it and so had no need of a computer or mobile phone.

Because things have moved on in 50 years. Card indexes and typewriters are no longer used because they are inneficient and would make any system slow and expensive.

People only visit food banks a few times rather than for prolonged periods. They are independent charities and nothing to do wiith the benefits system. So not convenient at all.

My suggestion about using a card system was so those without IT could receive job details and then send in a written application.

Why not have access to job opportunities at a place where those out of work or wishing to obtain better paid work visit.

I consider both suggestions positive ways forward.

My suggestion about using a card system was so those without IT could receive job details and then send in a written application.

Why not have access to job opportunities at a place where those out of work or wishing to obtain better paid work visit.

Very nice but most employers don't work that way any more

People can get access to IT these days either though using smart phone tablet or internet connection. If they have none of thise, then they cna go to a library or many other public resources where they can get access, including job centres.

What about those that are not computer literate ?

Sometimes the obvious is missed and so alternatives are necessary and may help solve a problem.

Then they can go to free classes and learn how to do job searches online. As most jobs are advertised that way and the world has moved on from card indexes, then its up to them to make an effort and ask for help if they are unable to help themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you think he'd have long term depression and agoraphobia if he hadn't been allowed to vegetate on benefits for decades? In countries where there is no welfare state, or where welfare is based on contributions, how many 60 year olds suffer from long term depression and agoraphobia?

He wasn't allowed to vegetate on benefits for decades - he was a builder who became ill.

On a related note, I see that a new study has acknowledged that Austerity is a factor in the rising suicide rates amongst men.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/nov/12/austerity-a-factor-in-rising-suicide-rate-among-uk-men-study

heres another report about soaring suicide rates :-

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/suicide-rates-soar-fit-assessment-areas-233017057.html#5QJGfG1

"Regions where the Government's controversial "fit for work" assessments have been carried out have seen hundreds of extra suicides and thousands more prescriptions being issued for anti-depressants, research has found.

Experts from Oxford University and Liverpool University warned there could be "serious consequences" from the policy to move people off benefits, which they said was introduced without any evidence of its potential impact.

They found 590 extra suicides, 279,000 extra cases of mental ill-health and 725,000 more prescriptions for anti-depressants across England in areas where people had work capability assessments (WCAs) between 2010 and 2013.

Other experts said the evidence "goes beyond merely establishing a correlation" but falls short of establishing a direct cause between WCA and suicide.

It comes after a coroner's report in September blamed the suicide of disabled man Michael O'Sullivan on the WCA and warned of the risk of more cases.

Mr O'Sullivan, a 60-year-old father of two from north London, was moved from employment support to jobseeker's allowance despite having reports from three doctors saying he had long-term depression and agoraphobia and was unable to work.

The new research, published in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, said the WCA might have taken a "serious" toll on mental health.

It found that the areas with the greatest use of WCA had seen the sharpest rises in suicides, mental health issues and anti-depressant prescribing.

"