IDS to put job advisors in food banks

The coroner did no such thing.

A disabled man killed himself as a direct result of being found fit to work by the government’s disability assessors, a coroner has ruled. In a report to the Department for Work and Pensions, the coroner for inner north London demanded it take action to prevent further deaths.

Michael O’Sullivan, a 60-year-old father of two from north London, was moved from employment support on to jobseeker’s allowance despite providing reports from three doctors, including his GP, stating that he had long-term depression and agoraphobia and was unable to work. He killed himself at his home on 24 September 2013.

Previously, the loss or reduction of benefits have been cited by coroners as a factor in deaths and suicides of claimants. However, this is believed to be the first time the work capability assessment (WCA) process has been blamed directly for a death. The case came to light when Disability News Service reported on the coroner’s report.

In a document marked “sensitive”, the coroner Mary Hassell told the DWP she had concluded that the “trigger” for O’Sullivan’s suicide was his fit for work assessment.

“During the course of the inquest, the evidence revealed matters giving rise to concerns. In my opinion, there is a risk that future deaths will occur unless action is taken,” she wrote in the document, known as a Prevention of Future Deaths or regulation 28 report

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/21/fit-for-work-assessment-was-trigger-for-suicide-coroner-says

Do you think he'd have long term depression and agoraphobia if he hadn't been allowed to vegetate on benefits for decades? In countries where there is no welfare state, or where welfare is based on contributions, how many 60 year olds suffer from long term depression and agoraphobia?

How many? Got a link?

Re malnutrition, I thought obesity was the issue? Or is it that the populace under labour became so thick they have no idea how to feed themselves properly?

There is no poverty unless it is self imposed poverty.

I guess people must be starving themselves deliberately just to spite the government....

Do you think he'd have long term depression and agoraphobia if he hadn't been allowed to vegetate on benefits for decades? In countries where there is no welfare state, or where welfare is based on contributions, how many 60 year olds suffer from long term depression and agoraphobia?

Whats this got to do with IDS putting advisers into food banks?

I don't know, maybe you could find out?

The cheapest foods are the most fattening. Processed, refined, full of sugar and salt.

Marketing of these foods is often aggressive.

Couple that with poor education on diet and the benefits of exercise and the seemingly high number of poorer people is easily explained.

That said, there are plent of affluent fat people waddling around too.

Its a national disgrace.

I don't mean to be insulting but that's a load of rubbish.

Fresh food is much cheaper than processed, the problem is idleness.

If people don't know now what's bad for them there's definitely no hope for them. Me and the missus shopped yesterday, pork loin joint £2.97 kilo, we bought one just under seven quid, sharp knife cut off six steaks into freezer, enough left for Sunday joint for two with enough left from that to eat with salad on Monday.

Cabbage 69p, potatoes £1, carrots 70p, assorted salad about £3.50, cost under

Thirteen quid for five meals for two, about the same price as chips, fish and mushy peas for two. Apples £1 a bag, oranges £1.25 a bag, pears about the same.

So excuse me for laughing. A couple of months ago a fat single mother on benefits in the paper said she was spending £300 a month on takeaways, more than we spend on food in a month, my point is its not lack of education that's the problem, the problem is that people like her are as thick as two short planks,until it comes to knowing how much benefits they're entitled to.

I don't mean to be insulting but that's a load of rubbish.

Fresh food is much cheaper than processed, the problem is idleness.

If people don't know now what's bad for them there's definitely no hope for them. Me and the missus shopped yesterday, pork loin joint £2.97 kilo, we bought one just under seven quid, sharp knife cut off six steaks into freezer, enough left for Sunday joint for two with enough left from that to eat with salad on Monday.

Cabbage 69p, potatoes £1, carrots 70p, assorted salad about £3.50, cost under

Thirteen quid for five meals for two, about the same price as chips, fish and mushy peas for two. Apples £1 a bag, oranges £1.25 a bag, pears about the same.

So excuse me for laughing. A couple of months ago a fat single mother on benefits in the paper said she was spending £300 a month on takeaways, more than we spend on food in a month, my point is its not lack of education that's the problem, the problem is that people like her are as thick as two short planks,until it comes to knowing how much benefits they're entitled to.

No offence taken but I have to say you are looking at this in a very blinkered way.

Education about diet is a major factor.

Same with control of the food industry and marketing practice's. Compare France to the UK for example.

As for your own shopping experiences you have to contrast with the options available to people who don't have easy access to the bigger and cheaper shops and may have to rely on local convenience shops.