Is the NHS useless?

IMO, the bans on advertising smoking were a prime factor in it's decline.

That's a perfect example of a public health 'campaign'.

I'd like to see bans on food advertising as well, because, advertising is proven to work- advertise/market junk/toxic 'food', and more people will eat it. So, if we're serious about modifying behaviours, we should recognise that.

There are already restrictions aren't there?

Smoking aside, I think you'll be aware that heart disease, diabetes and obesity, have not[/i] fallen massively?

No they have not. But that doesn't demonstrate your point, which was that the NHS engages in no preventative policies. It quite clearly does.

Drs giving out information to the public in the hope that they will change their behaviour.

Here's Dr Caldlwell Esslestyn giving a Ted talk on how heart disease is preventable and curable by diet.

He's one of an increasing number of US doctors speaking very openly about the needless deaths arising as a result of the medical systems pre-occupation with profitable symptom mangement strategies.

Here's Dr Caldlwell Esslestyn giving a Ted talk on how heart disease is preventable and curable by diet.

He's one of an increasing number of US doctors speaking very openly about the needless deaths arising as a result of the medical systems pre-occupation with profitable symptom mangement strategies.

But there are numerous campaigns about healthy living already. The 5 a day campaign, reducing sugar, 30 mins of exercise a day. People who claim they don't know how to be healthy are, in my opinion, wilfully ignorant not uneducated. If I spoke to 1000 smokers how many of those people would claim to not know the health risks? Yet they still smoke. Same for people who do not eat a healthy diet or get exercise. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

No- it was an advertising ban (on smoking).

If we can have an advertising ban on food, then I'll go quiet for a while and be happy that, at last, something usefull is being done.

An advertising ban on food isn't something that the NHS can bring about.

But there are numerous campaigns about healthy living already. The 5 a day campaign, reducing sugar, 30 mins of exercise a day. People who claim they don't know how to be healthy are, in my opinion, wilfully ignorant not uneducated. If I spoke to 1000 smokers how many of those people would claim to not know the health risks? Yet they still smoke. Same for people who do not eat a healthy diet or get exercise. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

So, we're in complete agreement then- these campaigns do not work very well?

If so, then surely it's time to put energy into trying other methods, and, making use of methods that have[i/] worked, such as bans on advertising (food in this case, as the bans on snoking clearly were effective).

No- it was an advertising ban (on smoking).

Yes, that's a measure taken to improve public health and prevent illness through changing behaviour.

That's what you're claiming the NHS doesn't do.

And it wasn't limited to banning advertising either. Health warnings were put on packets, sales were age restricted, smoking in public indoor spaces was banned, graphic images of smoking related disease were put on packets, smoking on TV was (almost) banned... And the level of smoking has fallen massively.

---------- Post added 03-11-2015 at 10:56 ----------

An advertising ban on food isn't something that the NHS can bring about.

However, Drs do advise the government and lobby them. And there are already limitations imposed on advertising.

"The current strict rules already prohibit any ad from encouraging poor nutritional habits or an unhealthy lifestyle in children. "

Thought so.

---------- Post added 03-11-2015 at 10:58 ----------

So, we're in complete agreement then- these campaigns do not work very well?

No, you were previously claiming that the NHS made no effort to practice preventative medicine.

So we were NOT in agreement.

---------- Post added 03-11-2015 at 10:59 ----------

these campaigns do not work very well?

as the bans on smoking clearly were effective).

Which is it? Are they not effective as you claim, or are they effective as the evidence shows?

Edited by Cyclone

Yes, that's a measure taken to improve public health and prevent illness through changing behaviour.

That's what you're claiming the NHS doesn't do.

And it wasn't limited to banning advertising either. Health warnings were put on packets, sales were age restricted, smoking in public indoor spaces was banned, graphic images of smoking related disease were put on packets, smoking on TV was (almost) banned... And the level of smoking has fallen massively.

---------- Post added 03-11-2015 at 10:56 ----------

However, Drs do advise the government and lobby them. And there are already limitations imposed on advertising.

"The current strict rules already prohibit any ad from encouraging poor nutritional habits or an unhealthy lifestyle in children. "

Thought so.

---------- Post added 03-11-2015 at 10:58 ----------

No, you were previously claiming that the NHS made no effort to practice preventative medicine.

So we were NOT in agreement.

Yes. Exactly, so things are being done and hopefully the next generation will grow up with a better understanding of food and exercise. It's incredibly hard to change someone's view and lifestyle when they are an adult as we all get set in our ways. Better to target children which is being done. Short of banning sweets, pizzas, burgers, sausages etc which is a ridiculous idea what else can we do?

Seriously, someone who keeps me from my haribo is in for trouble. :D

And banning things is clearly not the way forwards, for a start adults are entitled to make their own decisions, even if they make bad ones, and more importantly, having a burger now and again is not the same as eating burgers and takeaway every day.

Pretty much any food is unhealthy in excess, most are fine in moderation.