Is the NHS useless?

The Nhs isn't very efficient though - although it never has been. I was reading an article explaining how there had been enquiry after enquiry from its inception on how to make the Nhs better. i think the biggest problem though is us. We go to A&E because we can't go to the doctors because the doctors surgery is full of people who could go to a pharmacy.

The Nhs needs more cash but the public need to educated (as do a lot of the staff, particularly the administrators)

If you look at the link, the cost per capita is on there. The NHS is the lowest of all the countries surveyed and yet we came out top of many of the categories. I'm not saying the NHS is perfect or couldn't be more efficient, of course it could, but all other countries pay more (this is tax payers money only, private insurance costs not included) for an inferior service. If we change much we risk making things worse not better.

---------- Post added 30-10-2015 at 13:17 ----------

Many medicines available from straight from pharmacies elsewhere in the world require a visit to the GP here. Patients are often required in the UK to go to the GP regularly for repeat prescriptions such as Asthma meds, the pill, etc etc. The medications involved have no recreational value and are very low risk.

That's surely the NHS creating work for itself.

It's presume it's to help offset the costs of some of the most expensive drugs. Getting cancer drugs on the NHS must run into the thousands of pounds. Some other drugs that are cheaper than the prescription charge perhaps helps to keep the prices fair and affordable(ish) for all, even if you could argue that some people miss out.

Another example: An acquaintance of mine some years ago with severe bipolar 1 checked herself into hospital because she was in a deep depression and was having overwhelming suicidal thoughts. They accepted her, and then promptly allowed her to commit suicide in the hospital.

---------- Post added 30-10-2015 at 13:19 ----------

It's presume it's to help offset the costs of some of the most expensive drugs. Getting cancer drugs on the NHS must run into the thousands of pounds. Some other drugs that are cheaper than the prescription charge perhaps helps to keep the prices fair and affordable(ish) for all, even if you could argue that some people miss out.

I wasn't addressing prescription charges there.

They're using up something which is in short supply, the time of GPs, on something routine and very low risk. Not to mention the time of the patient hanging about at the GP's surgery when they could be at work.

I'm sure that they could still levy the prescription charge, without wasting everybody's precious time like that.

Edited by unbeliever

If you look at the link, the cost per capita is on there. The NHS is the lowest of all the countries surveyed and yet we came out top of many of the categories. I'm not saying the NHS is perfect or couldn't be more efficient, of course it could, but all other countries pay more (this is tax payers money only, private insurance costs not included) for an inferior service. If we change much we risk making things worse not better.

So we are, inevitably, down to the question I always pose when we have threads like these. How much more tax do you want to pay? Doesn't have to be income tax we could hike vat up to 30% or double fuel duty. But if you want better hospitals, more GPs and don't get me started on how much better care for elderly could get, you and me will have to pay much much more. And chunk of that will be ****** away on team building exercises, fountains and wasted in general so what ever number you're thinking of, add a bit.

---------- Post added 30-10-2015 at 13:22 ----------

Another example: An acquaintance of mine some years ago with severe bipolar 1 checked herself into hospital because she was in a deep depression and was having overwhelming suicidal thoughts. They accepted her, and then promptly allowed her to commit suicide in the hospital.

---------- Post added 30-10-2015 at 13:19 ----------

I wasn't addressing prescription charges there.

They're using up something which is in short supply, the time of GPs, on something routine and very low risk. Not to mention the time of the patient hanging about at the GP's surgery when they could be at work.

I'm sure that they could still levy the prescription charge, without wasting everybody's precious time like that.

We waste huge amounts of prescription drugs every year. More public education required.

Many medicines available from straight from pharmacies elsewhere in the world require a visit to the GP here. Patients are often required in the UK to go to the GP regularly for repeat prescriptions such as Asthma meds, the pill, etc etc. The medications involved have no recreational value and are very low risk.

Many?

For example?

---------- Post added 30-10-2015 at 13:24 ----------

I never mentioned plastic surgery. I specified cosmetic. I made it quite clear that I have no problem with reconstructive or corrective surgery.

I just said it was a place to start. I don't know the total cost per year for cosmetic. Perhaps somebody else does.

Perhaps you should only criticise it if you know it's a problem and the scale of that problem???

---------- Post added 30-10-2015 at 13:27 ----------

I certainly know the accuracy of what I just said. If you'd care to counter it, I'm all ears.

No you don't.

You've just declared that the best way to treat body image problems is NEVER surgery.

Apparently people with real medical backgrounds and extensive experience disagree with that.

So how accurate do you think you are when you give your unqualified opinion about whether psychological issues can or should be solved by "cosmetic" surgery?

Many?

For example?

Older antibiotics and Asthma meds for a start.

Contraceptive pill.

It's not just about the first visit to the GP for the initial prescription. They make you keep going back again and again for chromic conditions such as Asthma when the meds are harmless.

Can I get cosmetic surgery on the NHS?

Cosmetic surgery is rarely available through the NHS. There must be a major physical or psychological reason for needing the surgery.

In rare cases, a clinical commissioning group (CCG) may decide that cosmetic surgery is required to improve a person's health, although NHS resources are limited and waiting times are usually long. For this reason, most people pay to have cosmetic surgery privately.

20 seconds of research turns this up.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cosmetic-surgery/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Once every 6 months for an asthma review. That's quite prudent isn't it? And if you run out you can leg it to boots or somewhere and get one over the counter.

Older antibiotics and Asthma meds for a start.

Contraceptive pill.

It's not just about the first visit to the GP for the initial prescription. They make you keep going back again and again for chromic conditions such as Asthma when the meds are harmless.

Over prescription of antibiotics is a huge problem.

No country should ever sell them over the counter as that just makes the problem much, much worse.

I've had to search for where you can buy asthma medication over the counter, but I'm not sure about what I've found. Did you have a specific country in mind?

Basically, you're carping. You've got a beef with the NHS and you're looking for reasons to criticise, whether they're well supported or not.

At least that's how it appears.

Once every 6 months for an asthma review. That's quite prudent isn't it? And if you run out you can leg it to boots or somewhere and get one over the counter.

Depends. That's medical rules forcing somebody to take up doctors' and nurses' time whilst keeping other patients waiting a fortnight.

Priorities.

What you are highlighting isn't a problem with the people working or running the NHS, or a structural problem, but a chronic lack of funding towards the NHS - particularly in the "cinderella services" such as mental health.

These services are often suffer from lack of funds due to "us the public" wanting Premier League healthcare, but we're only willing to pay Championship level funding. So what's happening is the money drains away from services such as mental health towards the newsworthy services such as cancer care.

The answer is obvious. If we want the same level of healthcare as our comparable neighbours, we have to fund the healthcare to the same levels as our comparable neighbours. Otherwise the NHS will always be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Reading way through thread, but agree with this post.

Sorry you are having such a hard time of it Unb, not you have a diagnosis, then have you contacted the appropriate help group to see what the most cost effective way forward may be. As pointed out mental health is always one of the first to suffer in terms of cuts and it isnt taken seriously. The NHS is underfunded in terms of whats expected of it.