Is the NHS useless?

Depends. That's medical rules forcing somebody to take up doctors' and nurses' time whilst keeping other patients waiting a fortnight.

Priorities.

7 minutes once every 6 months to review a chronic condition with ongoing medication seems entirely reasonable to me.

Over prescription of antibiotics is a huge problem.

No country should ever sell them over the counter as that just makes the problem much, much worse.

I've had to search for where you can buy asthma medication over the counter, but I'm not sure about what I've found. Did you have a specific country in mind?

Basically, you're carping. You've got a beef with the NHS and you're looking for reasons to criticise, whether they're well supported or not.

At least that's how it appears.

I have a very large beef with the NHS, but I have been drawn into a general discussion on its' flaws which was not my intention.

Spain by the way, is one place I know of where you can get Asthma meds without all this messing about.

I paid for health cover. I'm not getting it. My family developed the wrong medical problem. I should have lived on McDonalds and caught diabetes instead.

I can't afford to pay twice for private and state healthcare. I want and I need my money back.

I know I'm not going to get it. That doesn't change anything. The NHS is screwing me and I'm angry. Maybe I'll get over it. Probably not if I end up having to sell my house.

My condolences.

People die of cancer everywhere. If you develop cancer in the UK, you're more likely to die from it that in most of the developed world.

This is most likely down to waiting times. Some conditions remain equally treatable months after they appear. The survival probability for cancer tends to drop each day you're kept waiting for treatment.

Cancer services in the UK are poor in comparison to other systems.

Having seen they system, the bits of it are ood, but other aspects you cna see why survival rates are so poor.

Kate did you mean a few months ago, sorry to hear it, hang in there, its a nasty business.

7 minutes once every 6 months to review a chronic condition with ongoing medication seems entirely reasonable to me.

It's a ball ache. My medication hasn't changed much in 30 years. You do the peak flow thing, you answer the questions. But it's all a bit cosmetic and going through the motions. My cat died a couple of years ago and wasn't replaced. I've picked up an inhaler once in anger since then. Might be a coincidence - I wouldn't be the first asthmatic whose symptoms disappeared overnight - but some in depth tests might have saved the Nhs a lot of money in the long run.

i think the biggest problem though is us. We go to A&E because we can't go to the doctors because the doctors surgery is full of people who could go to a pharmacy.

The Nhs needs more cash but the public need to educated (as do a lot of the staff, particularly the administrators)

That is absolutely correct.

And you would be truly astounded by things that some people see as emergency.

Or what they come with to doctors and pharmacists.

Some of them do it out of boredom, some out of loneliness, some clearly need psychiatrists attention. Some are just stupid.

Norwegian model where there is a small charge for any appointment would certainly discourage that. 5 pound would be adequate, free only with medical exemption and relating to nature of said exemption.

And court enforceable fines for those who call ambulance for no good reason.

That would free up a lot resources.

So we are, inevitably, down to the question I always pose when we have threads like these. How much more tax do you want to pay? Doesn't have to be income tax we could hike vat up to 30% or double fuel duty. But if you want better hospitals, more GPs and don't get me started on how much better care for elderly could get, you and me will have to pay much much more. And chunk of that will be ****** away on team building exercises, fountains and wasted in general so what ever number you're thinking of, add a bit.

You can throw any amount of public money into any public body and it will never be enough. I believe it is a natural law.

That is absolutely correct.

And you would be truly astounded by things that some people see as emergency.

Or what they come with to doctors and pharmacists.

Some of them do it out of boredom, some out of loneliness, some clearly need psychiatrists attention. Some are just stupid.

Norwegian model where there is a small charge for any appointment would certainly discourage that. 5 pound would be adequate, free only with medical exemption and relating to nature of said exemption.

And court enforceable fines for those who call ambulance for no good reason.

That would free up a lot resources.

You can throw any amount of public money into any public body and it will never be enough. I believe it is a natural law.

These all sound like reasonable reforms.

We could perhaps switch charging from prescriptions to GP appointments.

These all sound like reasonable reforms.

We could perhaps switch charging from prescriptions to GP appointments.

Unfortunately we have no real voice in this debate.

But feel free to start online petition or find one that already exists.

Write to Osborne or NHS High Commisar or maybe Jeremy Hunt.

That's the thin end of a very big wedge.

It is a different wedge from prescription charges? I think not.

Is it a different wedge from making waiting lists for certain things so long that people end up funding it themselves? Don't see how.

It is a different wedge from prescription charges? I think not.

Is it a different wedge from making waiting lists for certain things so long that people end up funding it themselves? Don't see how.

Presciption charges are expected and don't go up massively. I suspect if you start a charge for GPs is brought in that will go up or be expanded. Then it will be minor procedures - particularly if you're "at fault". Doubt me? Look at tuition fees. Do students get a better degree or student experience now they're forking out thousands in fees? A lot of people already don't go to the doctors when they should already - men especially. Sticking a fiver on it will put off more from going. Can you imagine the effect it would have on the health of the good people of sheffield? They'll be keeling over in the streets!